Find
Notify
Tools

Is it to late?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted
I have a axis deer skin that was tanned about 2 years ago and I was wondering if it is to late to have it turned into a rug. I would think that it would be almost there except for it doesn't lay perfectly flat on the floor there are a few places around the edges that stick up? If it is possible to get this to lay flat is it something that I could do at home or should it be done by a pro? If it could be done at home what would the steps be to do this?

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Two years isn't too terribly old. If it has been stored in a cool area things are looking even better.The best way to determine if an older tanned skin will withstand rehydrating to stretch and rug it is: cut a small piece(1"x1")or there abouts, from an area that it will not be missed. Place this piece of leather scrap into a margarine sized tub of lukewarm water for about 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Take it out of the water and pull with all your might the scrap in every direction. If it remains intact the skin should be fine for rehydrating and rugmaking. If the leather tears easily or becomes mushy the skin has dry rotted and is past it's prime for being anything other than what it presently is.

Now if you are just concerned with curling edges you may consider putting a leather border and carpet back on the skin. This may help lay the skin flat. I have seen this help some skins. I say "some" because leather has an incredible memory and likes to stay in the shape it has taken on and been left in for a long period of time.

Last possible resort could be vulcanizing the skin, which is a psuedo skin that is applied to the leather back of the skin . When dried it renders the origional skin soft and pliable and ready to be rugged.

Any tanned flat skin that has no type of backing on it will more than likely curl down the road. Climate and house temperature changes,especially humidity, play a large role in this developement.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
Mary,

If all seems well with the test sample that I try would my next step be to soak the whole skin in a bath tub of warm water and then lay it out flat on a board and stretch it out and nail it down until it dries and then hopefully it will now lay flat on the floor? I am not necessarily looking for perfection because I want kind of that rustic look but I don't want to trip over it every time I walk by either.

Thanks,
Frankie

Posts: 145 | Location: Mesquite, TX. | Registered: 19 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankie,

That certainly could be done, I would use closer to cool than warm water with a teaspoon of fabric softner to each 10 gallons of water. A large plastic tub or plastic garbage container would be better than your bathtub (your wife will like this better I am sure)LOL.

BUT...I must stress to you that as mentioned in my first post, if you do not have some type of backing on the skin for stability, IT WILL curl again over a period of time. That is just the nature of flat leather exposed to temperature changes,especially humidity.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
Good call on the bath tub thing and I will take in to consideration the backing and tey that as well. One last question. Any guestimates on what it would cost to have this done by a pro?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An axis deer that I am assuming is the hide only, no head, should be in the neighborhood of 4' from top of the skin to the base of the tail.
Being that it is already tanned I would guesstimate in the neighborhood of $200.00-$250.00..give or take. You are looking at rehydrating, stretching, trimming for symmetry, border, padding, and backing. The possiblities that could make it go higher are leather binding and carpet backing -vs- felt border and fabric backing and lastly if you desired to have it vulcanized.

Very interesting avatar you have there. I watched it from start to finish, scratched my head a little and went to finish a bear rug...LOL.

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

One of Us
Picture of FRANKIE2000
posted Hide Post
Mary,

Thanks for all your advice and I will possibly try and see what I can do with it and post how it turns out. Thanks again.