THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Short term mount storage - mice?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short term mount storage - mice?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm going to be relocating soon. Putting my home up for sale, and realtor suggested that my taxidermy be taken down to help improve sale odds.

Anyhow, I am looking to rent just a storage unit here in Fargo, ND to store my mounts in(ducks, deer, african big game). I am a little concerned about mice though.

Do you think mice will be a problem? I have heard of guys having mounts in their garages and never heard of mice getting them. Any suggestions for helping to prevent problems. I can box up the birds, but the wall/ped african mounts are just too big for boxing.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks guys...Eric

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would have concerns about storing any mounts in a location that is not climate controlled and mouse proof. If possible , I would try to take some mounts to friends/relatives/office or someplace like that. You may just have to leave some of the mounts where they are. I would not worry about getting all of the taxiderny out, just get enough out so it does not look clutered. As you start to show the house, your realtor should be able to tell if the taxidermy is a problem and then you may have to move more out. Good luck.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I would get another realtor!!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'd get them moved to a friends/relatives before you start showing your home. Unless you get lucky and a hunter is looking to buy your house, most people are not going to appreciate your decorating style which will affect the sale/price of your home. My father is a real estate agent and my mother is an interior designer, both gave me the same advice I'm giving you (I have a lot of heads around the house as well). It's a bit of a pain, but you can use the extra money you made in the sale of your house to spend on a hunting trip.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I had that problem when selling my last home. Whilst my family loved the animals 'hangin around' the prospective buyers did not.
And the real estate guy was right - the house looked so much bigger with them gone.

I stored most of them in a shed with rodent bait stations and checked and aired it as often as i could. It wasnt for long though - maybe 12 months.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snoogans: I have been to north dakota many times. I have meet the people I don't think you have to worry about mounts scaring off perspective buyers. If anything it will give them an idea of how to place their own mounts in the home. A couple years ago had a family reunion in north dakota. One of the planned activities was a visit to a museum of taxidermy. It is a different world out there despite what the realator thinks.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to go ahead and put them in a storage unit close to the house here. I'll hang them on the walls in the storage unit to get them up and away from the ground. Toss some mouse traps around in there. And, since it is close to the house, I can check on them regularly. Should be the best damned decorated storage unit in all of Fargo. First sign of problems, and I will come up with a plan B, but crossing my fingers and hoping for no problems...should just be for a couple of months (hopefully).

Thanks again...Eric

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I had to store a bunch of mounts for awhile not too terribly long ago. I used poison instead of traps, but I think either will do well. Id also invest in some moth balls. Going further, Id get a bug bomb and hit it once a month, use different brands as some pests actually "evolve" to not be affected after repeated bombings. Lastly, if you have humidity issues, get some of those disposable humidity containers that pull moisture from the air. Your total investment might be only $25.00 and you could save a bunch of headaches.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've been in the hunting business about 20 years and in real estate since 2004. The realtor is right, you need to make the house appeal to as many people that walk through the door as possible.

Of course I like seeing the heads on the walls but not everyone does and it can be distracting to some people.

You aren't trying to make friends or convert these people to hunters you're just trying to sell your house. You'd be pretty upset if the one person that fell in love with your house (and had the money for it) didn't happen to like one of the heads on the wall and took their business elsewhere.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bo-n-aro:
I would get another realtor!!

It is obvious you are not a Realtor. Mounts are decorator specific. My wife is a Realtor and gives the same advice. She told me I would have to get all my mounts out if we sold.

Snoogans, get a storage unit and get the bug spray from your taxidermist and spray your mounts down. I do it every six months to prevent mouths. Also put down mouse hotels and mouse traps in the storage unit. Good luck on the sell of your house and keep them mounts safe. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I am also a Realtor, and have been since retiring from the Army in 1991.

I have a den full of African animals, as well as some North American species and a Scottish red stag. Trophies are my decorating scheme--I consider them art.

I also have a 20-rifle/shotgun built-in gun cabinet next to my fireplace.

If I were to put my own home on the market, I would take down all the mounts, and restore the gun cabinet to the built-in bookcase is was before I had it converted.

Buying a home is a very emotional event, and prospective purchasers are (unconsciously, perhaps) placing themselves, their families, their furniture and possessions in your home when they consider it as a contender. To sell for the most in the shortest time, a home needs to be priced right, accessible, clean, neat, unclutterd, and as neutral as possible.

Listen to your Realtor--you've been getting good advice.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1550 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote