Find
Notify
Tools

Skull paint
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted
After touching up a couple euro mounts with white Apoxie clay, I need to match or feather in some paint that tends more to 'ivory' than 'white'. Skulls are yellower... help?

Thanx!

Barry

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Go to a craft store like Michaels etc.. look for some flat folk art type paints in the little bottles. They should have a Ivory or bone color. If not, buy some Kills latex primer and pour some in a cup. Slowly add a few drops of yellow, maybe a drop of brown, maybe a couple drops of light gray etc... mixing colors is an art in intself but you will be surprised how close you can get if you work with it for a while.

Test your color on a small area of the skull and see what it looks like after it is dry.

You can't help but keep messing with your trophies can you? Big Grin Seems like only yesterday you were fixing up those kudu horns!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Call it admiration from afar, sir. Thanks a bunch!

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
how about simply taking a good color photo of it or the skull itself in to a paint store and having them 'shoot it" with the colormatch eye. You should be able to get an exact match that way.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Grafton's right. I've been playing with some trophies. My wife's euro impala came from Limpopo (2001, Nylstroom Taxidermy) with the nose broken out and stuck together with some kind of yellow, rubbery stuff. I just re-did the gluing with superglue and used the trimmed down nose-bone from a waterbuck now being shouldermounted for us with some white Apoxie clay to make it look better.

I managed to break the nose bone on my first kudu (2005, Taxidermy Africa, also euro mounted) which I gorilla-glued together -- kinda of yellowish foam there. After some dremel work I just used Apoxie to support the nose and give the area some more structure.

And then there was the saga of my second kudu (2007, Karoo Taxidermy dip & pac'd) with the burned horns, the skull being sent along was not "white". After using a bronze bore brush on a drill to get the horns down to brown, I brown Magic Sculp epoxied in the cracks, colored it with gun stock stain, bondo-ed on the horns and shined 'em up with Johnson's floor wax after I used Coleman fuel and a hair-bleaching kit to satisfy myself that the skull was degreased and as white as possible. Sticking it on a shield is a whole 'nother story! The nosebone was sent already yellow glued back and I did the dremel and Apoxie thing again. Of further note Karoo Taxidermy threw away the wooden crate from the trophies shipped from Limpopo with finished euro mounts, a rug and some nicely dip & pac'd items, shipping on to me their stuff in a cardboard box via Mike Rex in P.E. A euro mount mountain reedbuck needed a horn re-attached by me -- gorilla glue again.

Anyhow, I had three skulls to match up and paint. I tried 'Ivory white', then 'Antique white' and finally 'Parchment' shades of acrylic folk art paint to make myself happy.

Cheers!