THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    thanks JDS - 2 skulls finished, 1 to go

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

thanks JDS - 2 skulls finished, 1 to go
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks to the instructions provided by JDS from this forum months ago, I now have two completed ram skulls from the corsican sheep that I shot last year. I also cleaned a beaver skull that I picked up which had a bit of meat still on it.

I now have my wife's ram skull macerating, along with a pickup (DOR) otter and armadillo skull.

Here are the finished sheep skulls (I never build a fire in my fire place):

Thanks a bunch. Your help was very appreciated.

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking ram skulls. To me, not much looks better than a European mount. Good choice. What did you apply to the horns to get the shine?

Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Rustoleum "Crystal Clear Enamel" spray paint . . .

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could you post that thread link for me? I would like to go back and look at it.
Thanks

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I now have my wife's ram skull macerating, along with a pickup (DOR) otter and armadillo skull.

I'm glad it worked out for you. The skulls look great!! The only thing I would have done different would be to have used boiled linseed oil on the horns. It would have given them the same color but doesn't have the shine . . . that's just personal preference, though.

I'm waiting for the grumbling to start when you start trying to find the teeth to the armadillo skull!!!! Been there . . . done that . . . expect to lose some!

Thanks!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I forgot to ask . . . where in the world did you find a DOR otter skull around Arlington, Texas????

The only place I can think of would be the Fort Worth Zoo!!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the otter dead on the side of the road at Rodman Reservoir, east of Gainesville, Florida. Otters are pretty common in FL.

However, you don't have to go too far from Arlington, TX, to find them. Otters occur throughout the Piney Woods of East Texas, and I have a pickup skull that my brother found there (a bit dirty and weathered, though).

Troy