New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hide problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The hides from all of my animals are at South Texas, and my taxidermists got a call from them on Friday. They believe the hides were exseively dried, and they can't get them to rehydrate. As I understand they have tried pressurewashing, and pickleing with no luck. From reading previous posts on this forum I understand them to be one of the best in the business. Another taxidermist suggested New Method to see if they could recover the hides. Has anyone hear delt with them before, or am I more than likely hosed on the hides? Is there any real difference in the hides possibly having been sundried?

While I've been planning to have the 3 done as pedistal mounts I can deal with the Kudu and Gemsbok being done as skull mounts and putting a picture with them. The one that really bugs me is the Hartman's Zebra. That was the one my wife wanted specificaly, and it was the first African animal I shot.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Hate to hear about your problems!
New Methods is another top notch tanner but you may want to ask South Texas what they have tried and give New Method a call first.
Where did these skins come from and how long did it take to get them to the states?
If they can not be saved you can usually find other capes. Try Kwiktan or post on www.taxidermy.net . eBay may be another option.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rhys - When you say "sun dried", do you mean they were air dried without salting? An air dried skin from an animal like a zebra most likely will not rehydrate if it was not properly salt dried. Tom at South Texas is one of the best in the world at dressing skins, if he can't do it no one can.

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"am I more than likely hosed on the hides?"

I would say yes, but, did he say they where trash or did he say they where having problems?
Trash is Trash however, "problems" means if your a real Taxidermist they are workable but you better know your shit. You need to ask the correct questions.
If Tom said they are no good then they are no good, He is the Man.

Is there any real difference in the hides possibly having been sundried?

Yes, sundried cooks your hide like jerky, it is not the same as salt dried.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I did a bit of calling around and sending emails. It looks like the problem lies with the taxidermist in Namibia who did the dipping. The PH stopped usinig them after having most of the people from last year run into the same problem. Tom said he may be able to save the Zebra, and possibly the Gemsbok although it didn't look like it. The Kudu however is trashed.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote