THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    What Are Trophy Mounts Worth?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are Trophy Mounts Worth?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope I don't need the answer for about twenty years, but I feel relatively sure when I'm gone, my relatives aren't going to want, or have the space for many of my trophies. Is the only answer Craig's List or eBay?

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I donated my life size mounts to a county museum and the value I could write off as a donation was the cost of the taxidermy.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I would think someone would do appraisals for insurance purposes.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of places that buy collections and then sell them. I've seen several on EBAY. I don't know what they give for mounts, but the prices they ask seem to run from a hundred bucks or so for an average deer to a grand or more for more exotic stuff. Mind you, that is their asking price and not what they give.

I'm sure some of the really hard to get things like Argali sheep, Marco Polo sheep, any of the Takins, big ivory, rhino etc... would bring good money. I have an old tiger skin my grandfather got as a missionary in China before WWII that I've been offered $3K for. But it will never be sold since it is a family heirloom and I'm not sure of the legality of selling it out of the family. I have Fish and Wildlife paperwork on it that proves it pre-dates the ban on tiger trophies but I don't know if it can be transferred under the Endangered Species Act. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look in the auctions eg Holts - there are always a number that are sold and they seem to make good money.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote