Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting rid of flesh
 Login/Join

posted
well this year i took a small five point whitetail buck and i took off the skull cap and now i have a skull cap with flesh skin and hair still on it how do i remove this with out

a. stinking up the garage
b. making mess

any help would be great

still can't make up my mind on what firearm I will buy next

one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Take it to a taxidermist! Smiler

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
that is the thing i would if the local taxidermist wasn't the biggest crook this side of the nothern hemisphere (like 700$ for a head mount on a SMALL BUCK) so i'd like to do this myself

still can't make up my mind on what firearm I will buy next

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drunkintoaster:
well this year i took a small five point whitetail buck and i took off the skull cap and now i have a skull cap with flesh skin and hair still on it how do i remove this with out

a. stinking up the garage
b. making mess

any help would be great

A - The only reason it will stink is if you let it sit around and rot.
B - You will make a mess.

Advice, take it to a Taxidermist or take a knive and start cutting off all the skin & flesh until you have nothing but bone.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drunkintoaster:
that is the thing i would if the local taxidermist wasn't the biggest crook this side of the nothern hemisphere (like 700$ for a head mount on a SMALL BUCK) so i'd like to do this myself

1 - I would be willing to bet he is not the only taxidermist in the area.

2 - Just because he charges 700 for a head mount dosen't make him a crook, it makes him a good business man.

3 - The cost of mounting a Deer to the taxidermist will not change due to the size of the Deer.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Why does charging $700 for a deer shoulder mount make him a crook. I admire him and he MUST be doing good work to get that much. And why should a "small" buck cost less than a "large" one. All the work is in the details of the face regardless of what type of antlers God gave the deer.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I skin the skull cap and then it goes into a pot of water on my outdoor fish cooker. About an hour of hard boiling and it's done.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"