New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smelly Hides!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got my rugs, backskins, etc. back from Africa and they smell awful! Any way of getting rid of the overwhelming mothball smell? I hate to leave them in the garage due to the FL heat & humidity but they smell too bad to bring inside. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
I just picked mine up last Thursday. I sprayed Fabreez on the felt of my jackals and put them out on the porch. My kudu and 2 gemsbok flatskins I just left on the porch to air out. The smell is mostly gone and they are all inside now. (I live in Daytona)

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend has them in his garage (in Ormond) right now and has been spraying febreeze on them- hope that helps. Thanks.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
E-mail me your phone number. I'll give you a call and we'll have a talk.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Florida guys,
I live up in the panhandle near Destin. I will be going to Namibia this September and would like to know which port you guys used for your trophies. Thanks, Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
I used Atlanta. Sounds like you went with Coppersmith. Ive used them 4 times but next time I'm doing it on my own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call your local Funeral home. They buy stuff that is frebreeze on steriods. It is sold at Walmart. I can not think of the name, but we used it at work to remove the stink from cloth seats. It killed smells that frebreeze would not touch, and it did not return.

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a felted zebra rug. I used two two bottles of fabreez and aired it out. The smell still did not go away. I had to remove the felt to eliminate the smell. I still looks good without the felt and may someday get it refelted.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote