THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Taxidermy - smoke and water damage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy - smoke and water damage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on mounts that were damaged in a house fire. None of the mounts have any fire damage or burn marks. About half of them were sprayed with a water hose and all smell like smoke.

All of them have been removed from the house and placed in a cool dry garage. What I need to know is if there is anyway to clean them to get the smoke smell out? The ones that were sprayed with the hose, will they be OK once dried out? Or will the hides shrink or distort in any way?

If they cannot be cleaned is the only option left is to get new capes for the mounts?

Are there any companies out there that specialize in cleaning taxidermy that has been damaged in this way?

Here is a list of mounts that have both water and smoke damage:

1 shoulder Kudu
1 Shoulder Bushbuck
1 shoulder tsessebe
1 impala flat skin
1 impala skull
2 giraffe leg end tables
1 blue wildebeest shoulder

Smoke damage only:

1 warthog shoulder
1 set zebra feet book ends
1 zebra foot pen holder
1 red squirrel
Numerous back skins from the shoulder mounted animals

The only thing I believe is beyond repair is my zebra rug. I has a few burn hole though it and was trampled on by numerous people and then roof collapsed on it. I removed it the day after the fire and it was half frozen at that time. I would like to save at least part of it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
GH- Contact Ray Hatfield at Nature's Design Taxidermy in Cody, WY. His number is: 307-527-6053 or you can email him at: naturesdesign@vcn.com I think alot of him and know he will advise you as to what to do. Sorry about what happened.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If the skins were properly tanned the water should have done them little harm. The smoke smell is another thing entirely as it will be entrained in the hair of the mount.

I would definately seek the help of a good taxidermist.

Personally I might try spraying one of the mounts with brake cleaner and let it dry out again. This is totally up to you. This is just something I might try. It just might lift the smell off.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe Hunter:
Sorry to hear about the fire. I lost my home and all of my mounts in 1994. The good part was my family and I got out safe. Good Luck.

Regards,

Rick L. Webb

Posts: 64 | Location: Anderson California USA | Registered: 22 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Giraffe hunter

Contact your insurance company. In my experience they have lots of contacts in the area of restoring damaged property items after fire -- they very much want to because it is cheaper than paying off replacement value.

Alternatively, maybe you can get a new trip. Perhaps you could argue that "replacement value" is what would it would cost for you to go back to Africa and shoot similar trophies! After all, buying a giraffe shot by somebody else isn't replacing the "trophy" in any way that matters to you.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with jpb. First it should be covered like any content in such a situation. As such you are not worried about trying to pinch pennies. Second, if you do it the labour is not covered and if something you do goes wrong you are out of luck. Have them find a professional to do the job. If that is proving difficult check with some of the major players in the taxidermy industry. I am sure they can direct you to someone who might be able to help. The bad news is smoke damage is very difficult to eradicate.
Sorry about your problem and good luck.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote