THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    removing hair from a tanned, hair-on buff backskin?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

removing hair from a tanned, hair-on buff backskin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently received a number of tanned backskins from my African hunt (2 years ago!). The work was done here in Canada, and seems to be of very high quality. Unfortunately, my buffalo backskin was tanned the same way as the other skins, i.e. hair on. This is entirely my fault...I had intended to use that backskin for either a guncase or to upholster a chair, but I never thought to mention that to the tannery.

Is there some way to remove the hair and turn this skin into the nice piece of usable smooth leather I had envisioned? Otherwise I am left with a great big tanned scabby semi-hairy rectangle of useless hide.

Failing that, can anyone make a suggestion for how to utilize a great big tanned scabby semi-hairy rectangle of otherwise-useless hide? Smiler There must be something for which this could be used. My buff skull will be Euro-mounted on a wall plaque...would it look crazy to partially cover the back portion of the plaque with this stuff? I am even considering trimming it into a rough-edged, random shape and mounting it on the wall with other skins, on top of which I am planning to hang other skulls and photos, or...?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I think your best bet would be to send it to a buckskin leather tannery and have them re-tan it into hair off leather.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Failing that, can anyone make a suggestion for how to utilize a great big tanned scabby semi-hairy recangle of otherwise-useless hide?John

If Jerry's idea does not work, then I'd make a shoulder cape out of it. Wear a cape made of scabby semi-hairless buff skin onto the bus or subway and I am pretty sure you would get a seat all to yourself.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, Jerry. I didn't realize that a hide could be re-tanned. I will look into it.

Thanks, Rob, for your alternative suggestion...I think?

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Rob H

You win!

Posts: 4883 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote