Notify
Tools

African mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Hi,

I am going to Namibia in June 2006 and expecting the trip to be a succes I need ideas. Pretty sure I want to do pedestal mounts on Gemsbok & Kudu. Ideas on other animals.

Zebra rug?
Implala shoulder
Eland? so damn big not sure.
Hartebeast
Warthog shoulder, wallets and other small leather pieces from the backskin
second Gemsbok skull mount and a rug?
I also have chance at 2 springbok, one for sure is rug and I guess other will be shoulder.
Backskins I would like some pillows.

Please let me hear any ideas you have, none of this is in stone if I am so privileged as to bring this all back. Also what do I need to tell my PH on how to handle the trophys in relation as to what I want done with them, anything special.

Are there any other things I should keep, does any of the animals have something unique like Elk and their ivory teeth? I read something on here one time about a Zebra but cannot remember what.

Thanks

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Wayne, sounds great, and I hope you have a great trip. One thing you may want to do when you get there is try to have the taxidermist meet with you so you can explain what you want directly with him. Many guys will be happy to do this in order to get your business, especially when you are having several mounts done. I did this on my trip to RSA last year and it worked out well. I would also try to take some pics of what you want along. One last thing is to try to get arrangement for shipping while you are there. It is easier to do in person rather than thousands of miles a way.

I wish you luck on your trip.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
For the Zebra, flat tanned and felted. For the Impala, wait until you have it in the salt before deciding what to do with it. I had the skull and horns put on a shield mount and kept the whole skin (not felted) which I use as a throw cover on the back of a couch. If the horns are really nice you may want the shoulder mount. For my warthog I just had the tusks placed on a placque. For the big stuff like Eland's, Kudu, Gemsbock, etc. you should probably wait until you have had some time to assess what you want to do with it. At skinning time they can always cut the skin for a shoulder mount and backskin, you can wait a little before making up your mind about whether you want to go the shoulder mount route or just have a shield mount.

Here are my warthog tusks

The shield mount of my Impala

Shield mount of a Steenbok

My Kudu shoulder mount before I could figure out where to put him.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Don't miss out mounting you eland, they will be the focal point of your trophy room. As for your zebra, as good as a felt border looks, leather is much better. I did that with mine and although it costs more, its worth it. You can check out some of my african work at http://www.initaxidermy.com

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
Montana, this is a what I decided on for the warthog and my Zebra the rest of my african "stuff" as a cluster.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I was going to do a zebra rug but my taxidermist talked me into a pedistal - kudu and nyala too.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote