THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Zebra skin for wall mount - felt backed or not?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra skin for wall mount - felt backed or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
Just got notice that my tanned zebra skin is almost done. I was going to hang it on my wall (in my house, with my pets, having it as a rug would end in disaster). But I'm wondering - is there any reason why I might want to have it felt-backed/lined?

I assume it will make it heavier as well.

Finally, how best to hang the skin on my wall? Something stick on the back, like command-strips, or is there another better way to hang it?

Thanks!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Whether it will hang on the wall or lay on the floor, you will want to have it stretched so it has a firm shape and is trimmed symmetrically. The border and backing help prevent the skins edges from curling. A stretched, tanned flat hide will start to curl over a period of time due to humidity (esp.in Fla.), climate changes in the home, etcetera.

Rolled or scalloped leather borders look very nice and a bit more classy on a zebra. I think borders give the rug a more finished look and do add a bit more weight and substance to them. It really depends on personal preference to go with or without a border.

If you have a backing on the rug, d-rings can be attached to aid in hanging. I have seen posts on here of some using tacks to hang a zebra on the wall, that has worked very well for them. If you do attach a border and use the tack method to hang, make sure the tack goes through the zebras leather and not just the border as the weight of the rug will eventually pull the border away from the skin.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mary - is it possible if I get the skin as-is (with no felt/leather backing/borders) can it be added or done later here in the States, or if I want it done should I get it done over in Namibia while it is there?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote