Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning the skull
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I took a moose of a life time this trip now I'm working on cleaning out the skull so I can keep the horns. I've been boiling like crazy but still lots to come out. Any tips?????

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if all you want is the horns, just saw off the skull plate. if you are boiling the skull that much, it will probably fall apart anyway.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
You have to scrape and cut the flesh and meat away as you go. The addition of Sal Soda (also known as washing soda, soda crystals, soda ash, or Sodium carbonate) will further help to turn the meat to a jelly-like substance that is easily removed. It will also cause the pot to boil over so easy does it adding this to the boiling water.

Stop boiling, order some from a Taxidermy supplier such as WASCO -- they even sell a book on cleaning skulls -- then resume when you are fully armed with your Sal Soda and new knowledge! Wink Good luck to you!~

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Never done a moose, but have done lots of Mule Deer, Antelope and Elk skulls, etc. Did six this past weekend. Use the soda as mentioned and I have never boiled one more than 2 hours. I have seen people boil until the skull falls apart so be careful. I boil for 1 to 2 hours depending on the animal then take the pressure washer to them. Literally 3 to 5 minutes with a big pressure washer and an elk skull is completley clean. I end up a mess though as the brains and what not blow back on me. But after doing it the hard way of cutting and scubbing the meat and flesh away I will never go back. Then bleach with hair product sold from the hair salon suppliers. If antelope of some other type of goat or sheep glue, bondo, or fiberglass the antlers or horns back on......

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info... Any idea where I would get the sal soda from???

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I get mine here.....

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Any local swimming pool supply co. will have sal soda, they call it soda ash, it's the same thing. They will usuall sell it to you in 5-50lbs, or whatever you need.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote