THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Field prep of elephant feet

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field prep of elephant feet
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone give me a step by step on field preparation of elephant feet right up to applying salt or solution (alum)
Thanks,
Tom

Posts: 8 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Seems like nobody wants to take a stab at this, so I will Big Grin I have never done this but would assume it is the same as with other feet, only bigger!

Ring (cut) around the legs as high up as you want to go. You can cut down the backside of the leg/foot down to the pad to make it easier to skin (instead of trying to skin it like a tube. This seam can be sewed and repaired later.
skin down to where the last toe bones connect to the nail. Thin and remove as much of the fatty pad as possible, apply liberal amounts of salt to every inch of the flesh side. Dry in the shade. Shake off wet salt the next day, apply more dry salt.

I would love to hear from someone who has experience with this to see if I missed anything!

Certainly if you are hunting elephant with an experienced outfit, they will have someone who is very experienced with this.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply,
I'm prepping for a self outfitted safari and so I'll be looking after my own trophy preparation.
Putting the hides and feet in a fast flowing stream will work well prior to salting yes?
Tom

Posts: 8 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
This is often a subject of debate. I will give you my thoughts. Unless the hide is covered with grime and blood, I say do not wash it at all. The pupose of the salt is to remove moisture and prevent bacteria growth. Washing it is adding more moisture that the salt will have to draw out, prolonging the drying process and making the hides very heavy. Bacteria thrives in hot, wet conditions. If you must wash, do not soak for very long. Then apply salt. A salt brine soak is often used although I say if a skin is dry and clean, just use dry salt. The finer the salt, the better. Coarse rock salt is the norm in Africa. It will work ok but is not as good as fine salt in my opinion. I don't care what animal it is, If you get a skin clean of meat and fat and salt it very soon, it should be in good condition. Good luck on your hunt. Not sure where your headed for a self-guided elephant hunt but it sounds interesting. You will either have a wonderful time or you will be killed. Wink

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks again grafton.
Placing the hide in a fast flowing stream was conveyed to me some time ago. It apparently removes 100% of the blood that will be found in the skin ,It promotes cooling thus prevents hair slip. When the skin is totaly white,almost transparent then the hide can be dried and salted etc...We'll see?
I am planning on returning to Cameroun for another attempt at forest elephant.
It is an awesome hunting experience for sure !
Tom