Find
Notify
Tools

Nilgai turn around time?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted
My now former taxidermist, has had my Bull Nilgai for a shoulder mount since Jan 2011, the mount still isn't ready. I'm feeling discouraged by thinking I'm being taking advantage of, it's really starting to pisz me off.

What is an average or reasonable turnaround time?

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Turn around times vary widely, some can get them out in 90 days and some several years. What is important here though is when he said he would have it ready and what you agreed to. If you are full time, IMHO nothing should go over one year.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
In my younger days I ran a full time taxidermy shop in Michigan. My turn around time on game heads was just about one year. Part of the long delay was the fact that I used a commercial tannery in another state and I had to ship the capes and then wait for them to be tanned and returned. Once the tanned capes were received, I was able to get the mounts out fairly quickly. This could be the cause of your taxidermist's delay. At least at that time, I believed that the commercially tanned capes resulted in a much higher quality and longer lasting mount.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jerry, it depends on what you agreed on. One year is not out of line.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Lots of unknowns, but I think 12-18 months is reasonable but at the same time it is all in what he told you. Some are quick others are not but at the end of the day; I just want top end quality and willing to wait for it. I would never ask for a piece to be rushed or it will look just like that; rushed.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Very good responses & valid perspectives, thanks guys.

I'll continue the patience, it's really the only way, especially if I want my trophies back in good shape.

I've learned from this verbal agreement approach isn't a good idea. My new taxidermist is much more organized, full paperwork, asked for pictures and easily beat his due date. He did a Scimitar Oryx for me in 7 months, by far the best looking mount in mi casa.

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Jerry since he has done my last 10 mounts, with two left to go! tu2

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
time is going on two years...

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another solution I've found is to go and shoot a bunch of stuff regularly. Then there's always something ready for pick up at the taxidermist, and you don't focus on just one thing ....

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Have you talked to him recently? What is he saying?

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
No, I have not talked with him since August 2012. Back in April he said May, left it alone until August this year when I came back from a job overseas & had cash to spend. When I called then, He said he'd call me back...since then, nothing. Again, I don't want trouble, just my prized trophies. This will be the 2nd taxidermist who I've known to operate like this; the first one still has my stuff from back in '06. I'm feeling like if you're not rich, powerful or mean as hell, you'll get nowhere with some people in the Taxidermy industry...no offense to the good ones out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CamoManJ:
This will be the 2nd taxidermist who I've known to operate like this; the first one still has my stuff from back in '06.

Yikes! Why are you asking about the taxidermist from last year? Seems like this guy would be a bit more of a pressing concern?

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tygersman:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CamoManJ:

Yikes! Why are you asking about the taxidermist from last year? Seems like this guy would be a bit more of a pressing concern?

Good question, it's because of the importance of the 3 trophies & substantial investment involved this time. The '06 guy just has a varmint and duck, not worth any further hassle & I can easily replace them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got it. It's probably obvious at this point, but for future work, you should spend some time selecting a taxidermist you can trust and feel comfortable calling and asking questions.

Huffaker is about 700 miles away from me. But I use him because I know I'm going to get my animals, and I know they're going to look right ....

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wyoming has a state mandated 1 year law.

Probably makes it challenging if the fur dresser doesn't cooperate.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sculptor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Wyoming has a state mandated 1 year law.

Probably makes it challenging if the fur dresser doesn't cooperate.
I get 99% of my work out in 9 or 10 months. I complete sheep shoulder mounts in 90 days or less. This Wyoming regulation is only true and valid if the taxidermist fails to note his turn around time on the orginal invoice which is signed and agreed to by the client in writing. One year turn around is not out of line for most small one man/family shops. Most shops anywhere will not start a project without a 1/2 deposit. I have had clients bitch at me and then when I looked up their work invoice I find that they never gave me a deposit and that they had been billed a few times for it without response. Most taxidermist work orders clearly state the estimated time it will take for completion "from the date of recieving a 1/2 deposit." Tanneries, suppliers and employees like being paid and a taxidermist uses deposits to pay them. Best advise is call your taxidermist and work it out with him; he may have had some unforseen trouble with health, etc. I am sure he wants his work caught up even more than you want it.

Posts: 727 | Location: Cody Wyoming | Registered: 17 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sculptor:
I am sure he wants his work caught up even more than you want it.

I wish you were correct in my case, but I just heard from a "friend" of his that he is too busy with big contracts he was awarded by corporate hunting organizations/ranches. Since I have no contract with a due date, I have no case, so much for doing business with "friends". Money talks in this case, the small guys just will have to wait in line to get screwed. Worse, when I did work for him with my former small business, I turned his stuff around fast with a discount & this is how he treats me? Go figure. Friends & Family don't mix in business, never again.

The good news, is that I have a new taxidermist that insists on a full contract including a guaranteed due date with a 50% deposit, which I was happy to oblige + nice tip.

posted Hide Post
Just go get your cape and horns, then take it to your new guy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
J,

If you need the EnforcerSquatch to accompany you in retrieving your property you know how to reach me.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote