Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo Taxidermy
 Login/Join

posted
I posted a question regarding hippo taxidermy in the trophy room pictures section, not realizing there was a forum directly about taxidermy. Wanted to see if anyone had any pictures or ideas or suggestions for hippo taxidermy. I really doubt I will have a shoulder mount or pedestal done just because of the extreme cost, but I"m toying with the idea of a euro/skull mount or having the tusks mounted on a shield. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

BTW, Heading to Zim in about a month and a hlf with my dad. We're hunting tuskless elephant, hippo & cow cape buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have gone with tusk mounts on dark wood shields for my hippos. They do look good, although I always get questions about them, as in, "What are those?" Smiler

I view the questions as opportunities for good stories.

I have kept the smaller hippo tusks singly as well. They make good handles for knives, letter openers, razors, etc.

A skull mount would be pretty cool, too, but you'd need some space to display it.

Head and shoulder hippo mounts, no matter how well done, have always looked like cartoon characters to me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the Africa shield again. Note- Those are 6" boards. Big Hippo bull.
Bring the skull home. I looks good on a table or just on the floor.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I would be interested as well to see pics of skull & tusk mounts.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I have a pic of a hippo skull end table. I'll try to find and post.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I hope to do another hippo someday. I'll bring the whole skull back just like the first one. I display my warthogs with the skull as well.

I have to do some repair on this one, have the pieces, too much other stuff to do at the moment...

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Here is what I decided upon:

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I have a pic of a hippo skull end table. I'll try to find and post.

Found it:

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I remember that table Will, it was very cool!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I like that table. That's a terrific way to do a skull mount.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13654 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is what I decided upon:

SBT That is cool. I have another set of teeth sitting in a box that will now get a similar treatment.

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a skull and hide on their way back from the Caprivi. I was going to do a shoulder mount, but may chicken out when I get an estimate of what size it would be and the cost. It was the largest they'd ever taken in the concession ....like shooting a school bus (and it was taken on land!)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote