Find
Notify
Tools

Bug trouble?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted
I was in my trophy room earlier today and found a small black bug(about 1/8th inch long) crawling on the floor. This room contains my African plains game trophies that were received and hung several months ago. I have not seen any bugs before and closely looked over all the mounts immediately and did not see any other bugs. Could be an innocent creature but I am a bit paranoid. I have a bag yet to be unpacked from a deer hunt last weekend that could be the culprit. Thoughts?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Might be a good idea to fog the room. Better safe then sorry!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
what type of fogger do you suggest?

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are some fogger's available in farm type stores, or probably garden stores. You close up the room and let the thing go. It does work well, I had moths attacking my stuff once and after fogging the room the floor looked like it was a moth floor.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
thanks!

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Walmart sells a fogger, I picked up some there just last week.

I've used them for years, they work good!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Master Taxidermist
posted Hide Post
What you described is a Dermisted or Carpet Beetle. The only known to kill thim is Boratic Acid. They will destroy a trophy room. Go to your local grocery store and buy some Mule Team Borax laundry detergent, or to a feed store and ask for powdered borax. Sprinkle, this under every base board in your trophy room. Check the ears on your mounts. Inside the ears is the first place this demons will go. If you find them in the ears, vacume them out. Very, Very, lightly sprinkle borax in the ears.
Good luck to you.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
The foggers will kill the beetles

Widowmaker416

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound like dermisteds to me. The adult beetle is about 3/8 to 1/2" long and the larva are more brownish than black.
Foggers are easy to use but they don't kill eggs.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote