THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    AR member Shootaway's cape buffalo and impala

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR member Shootaway's cape buffalo and impala
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted
Here are a couple of mounts I just completed. Shootaway's cape buffalo pedestal mount and impala shoulder mount from his Zimbabwe safari:

This is the back of the mount, a baobab tree painted on distressed pigskin.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Good job capturing the character of the buff....love the ears!

Congrats to Shootaway!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
very nice work!!

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Super work grafton - Congrats Shootaway!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everything,Grafton! I sure made the right choice in choosing you as my taxidermist.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Thanks for everything,Grafton! I sure made the right choice in choosing you as my taxidermist.

+1

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW;good job.

Love the eyebrow work and the nose pad.

Just enough sheen and nice color.

Fantastic.

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice Buffalo Grafton!
Congratulations shootaway

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RREESE:
Nice work Grafton! But I'm curious, did you grind the bosses down for artistic purposes or were they already small and narrow?

No taxidermist would EVER do that!!

Grafton, superb job on the buff!! I like the baobab on the leather backing. Classy.
Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Beautiful taxidermy and fantastic painting, Grafton! thumb

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks, You are very welcome, Shootaway. It was a pleasure doing the work for you.

RREESE, I would never grind down or remove any horn material. To a certain degree, cape buffalo require some rebuilding of the boss or the skin/horn juncture. This is because the soft tissue of the growing horn is boiled or has shrunk away, leaving a gap between the hard horn and the skin. So, some material is re-created but no horn is ever taken away. I do my best to try and get the buffalo to look the way it was, not building the boss up too much, and certainly never taking any away. Eeker

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve f
posted Hide Post
Great work-thank's for sharing.

SCI
DSC
NRA
NAHC
DRSS

Posts: 93 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Wonderful work!

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...you are truly an artist !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Painting and Buff , Just Awesome !
Great Job !!!

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RREESE:
Nice work Grafton! But I'm curious, did you grind the bosses down for artistic purposes or were they already small and narrow?

Well aren't you just a prince of a guy --- and I'm guessing sexually challenged at that!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote