THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Taxidermy on passenger flight

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy on passenger flight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I will begoing back to Okla. this weekend and my antelope from this past fall is completed. Therefore, I would like to build a wooden crate and check it in as luggage. Has anyone ever done this before and if so, were there any limitations or problems. I know the weight requirement is 50lbs and I haven't seen anything on the airline's website saying a I can't do this as of yet.

Thanks for any comments,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
graybird,

you should be alright with a crate. The Pronghorn isn't to big mounted. use 1X3's as your corners and 1/2 inch plywood for the sides. Screw it all togeter don't nail. Put rope handles on the ends, drill two holes big enough to slip the rope through then tie a knot in each end, they work great!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Yes i have taken mounts, (Tahr shr mt, a peacock mt & goat shr mt), on a plane as luggage without a problem.
I just had to pay the excess luggage weight fee.
The connecting plane was a small 20 seater but it was still ok for all boxes to go on that one too.
It was NewZealand to Australia though.

(Widow - havnt heard from you so have already bought a yote.)

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I never thought about using ropes as handles. Sounds like an excellent idea. I'll be sure and incorporate it into the crate.

Thanks!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I took a whitetail from Michigan to Juneau in a crate prior to 9/11. I didn't have any problems. Im not sure that you can take crates anymore as all "luggage" must be inspectable. For what its worth, I build crates to ship mounts all over the country Fedex. I shipped a 95lb crate last week for $45.00 and it arrived in 3 days. It might be easier for you to think about shipping it.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im not sure that you can take crates anymore as all "luggage" must be inspectable.

Put a cheap set of hinges on it....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote