THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Can it be saved? Finally home now in the Trophy Room.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can it be saved? Finally home now in the Trophy Room.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Guys, I just received notice today that my rather smallish leopard from 2008 is finally ready to be picked up at the taxidermy. I haven't seen it in person yet so asked the taxidermist to send a picture. At first, all looked pretty good!!

Then I noticed it!! The damn claws are OUT! NO!! I'm sick to my stomach. I've told the receptionist that it isn't going to work this way. I haven't heard from the guy who did the actual work yet. Can this be fixed or is my leopard ruined.

I switched taxidermists awhile back so my monster leopard taken last year is in good hands. However, this makes me sick. He has a $1,500 deposit on this mount and will not see the remainder unless this is corrected. What say the experts??

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Sure it can be saved.. If it's fresh mount simply inject the feet with warm water and wrap the foot with plastic wrap for a few days and push them back into the clay, unless the's kept the foot styrofoam, that woud be a little trickier but it'a all fixable.

Producing the Highest Quality Custom Wildlife Mounts with less than 180 Working Day Delivery.
Visit our Studio Online at:
The Artistry of Wildlife
"2009 World Champions"
"Best in World Combined Artists"
World Taxidermy Championships
" 2010 Michigan State Champion"

Email:
info@artistryofwildlife.com

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I hope he used the clay in that case. Thanks for the info. I was getting pissed by the minute. Why he would do this is with the claws out is beyond me.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
That's an easy fix Todd, relax, it can be done.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't the claws be out a little bit? I mean, just the tips? Or are they completely withdrawn while a cat is standing? Just wondering.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
The heavily curved front claws of Cats - big or small - are kept within the sheaths for good reason. These are their defensive weapons, as well as the main tools used in securing prey. Cats keep them sharp and injury free, by frequent sharpening on trees, limbs and branches. They are not extended during the chase, nor are they extended while the Cat reaches out for its prey. Only when the front paws make contact with the prey animal, do the claws emerge from their protective sheaths.

If claws are not extended in these poses, they should not be extended in the simpler pose of your standing Leopard ...

The hind claws tend to peak out from the upper toes of the hind feet. These are the claws that 'catch' the ground during running, acting as cleats that grip the ground for secure and sure footed rushing after prey. In fighting, the rear claws are also employed when the Cat rolls over onto its back ... a move meant to open the belly of their attacker. With enough of a hit, this is a possibility, but more often than not deep scratches are the result of such moves.

Any Cat mount standing like your Leopard, will not stand with extended claws. Some Taxidermists do this because they think is makes the Cat look cool, when in reality, all it shows is their lack of knowledge of the subject!

Good luck to you in getting the end results you are after!

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input and comments John. Making my cat "look cool" is exactly what the taxidermist was thinking. This company has done a lot of work for me in the past. The father did all the African animals previously and has recently retired. Even so, he would come back and help with African mounts. On this one, he was obviously not present. His son, who does nice work on North American game, just doesn't have the overall experience. He did get the face correct so I was really surprised to see the claws "out" like this.

These guys recently messed up a panel of elephant skin as well. I received it thinking it would be dyed and soft leather only to find it torn, not dyed at all, and rough as a piece of sand paper. He did give me credit for the $'s but I lost a panel of elephant skin!!

Switching taxidermists 2 years ago was the right move. I'm paying more but you get what you pay for and taxidermy for expensive international trophies is not the place to cut corners. Luckily, if he gets this cat's feet fixed, I only have 3 other items in his shop to be completed and I'll be free of him for good. The remaining items should be fine as they are shoulder mounts of more common game and I've already paid the tanning fees on them.

I'll take the pictures you posted of the proper appearance for a leopard's feet and hopefully, he'll get it correct this time. Again, thanks for the input.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well, here it is in it's new home. The taxidermist got the claws mostly put back into the feet. Not quite all the way but better.

Needless to say, this will be the last work this fellow will get from me. I can live with it but I'm glad my big leopard is in good hands.