New
Find
Notify
Tools

euro mount
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i got a coyote skull that i would like as a trophy. im getting the hide tanned and i want to bleach skull. how do i go about doing this. thanks in advance.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Boil the head in water with peroxide. I dont measure it just what looks like enough. After you boil it for a while pull out the jaw and the bottom meat will come off easyer. I have only done deer but should all be the same.

Posts: 25 | Location: Arizona, USA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
1 cup dishwashing powder per 10 Qt water works well. It cuts grease and will make the meat come off of the bone much faster.

If you can get Sal Soda from a Taxidermist, it works even better.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sask-Hunter,

There was a good thread on this before Christmas over on the European forum...take a look at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=518103&f=5421043&m=552102151&r=131107151#131107151

I am pretty sure that Sal Soda is just ordinary washing soda as available from the hardware store...its not caustic soda as that is too strong...been there, tried that!

The biggest problem comes from over boiling the skull as it starts to come apart...I have seen numerous references on American sites to boiling Whitetail skuls for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes longer..I think thats way too long and I would not boil for more that an hour...with your small coyote skull, I would try it after its been simmering for 30 minutes or so..

Don't use ordinary household bleach ( it can damage the bone) but use Hydrogen Peroxide as already mentioned..I have not tried adding it to the pot while its simmering but usually bleach it afterwards..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote