New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend any ideas for the storage of taxidermy (full mounts, shoulder mounts) in a cold dry climate (Colorado). Am thinking of renting a storage unit but not sure if they should be sealed in plastic, left open, treated somehow?

I'd appreciate any ideas guys...

Posts: 89 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Im storing mine in a climate controlled storage rental place. Maybe they have them there.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
climate controlled for sure!

Left open would be ok,wrapping in plastic is not good. If for some reason there is any moisture the plastic will keep it in and cause mildew.

I would cover with blankets.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Rock,

I know there are several Sportsman Warehouses in Colorado. They will allow hunters to display trophies in their stores, if they have the room.
This is a very safe, climate controlled environment with no storage fees. The mounts will collect dust if you have them there for an extended period of time. You would be allowed to go in and dust and clean them off periodically. Sportsman's has very specific paperwork which they keep a copy on file,keep one on the back of the mount plus give you a copy. This ensures that no-one can come in and remove your mount.

Just another option I thought I would throw out there!

Kind regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good thought Mary. I have a couple of bears I have lent to my buddy who owns his own gunsmith shop.

Cheap way to store critters store when room is an issue. Schools and hotels are another idea.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote