Find
Notify
Tools

Nyala horn removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted
I have a Nyala skull mount. It appears the horns have been glued to the skull. Is it possible to remove them?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Yep. soak it water for a few days and then simmer them in hot water not boiling water but hot for a while they will release...expansion of the core and the penetration of the water will release the glue. If it's african done it will be cheap glue or bonds.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Artistry of Wildlife:
Yep. soak it water for a few days and then simmer them in hot water not boiling water but hot for a while they will release...expansion of the core and the penetration of the water will release the glue. If it's african done it will be cheap glue or bonds.

Thank you.

I had the skin tanned for a full body mount. I have come to realization that there is no way that I have the space for a full body mount. I thought that maybe I could have it redone as a flat skin, but it is pretty stiff. Is this just a difference in the tanning process or is there another step that needs to be done to soften it up?

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
Flat skin tanning is done different that tanning for mounting , the skin is broken more for softness. If you try to wet the skin you have for a mount and let dry it will get stiffer. a Shame you can't full mount it they are one of Africa's most beautiful animals

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I was afraid of that.

A full body mount would be great if I had the space. I don't have a trophy room and there is no way it is going to fit in my office.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member