Notify
Tools

bleaching skulls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
Okay guys and gals,
Following the posted advice here, I bought a hair bleaching kit (yes,in blonde!) and cleaned the skull as thoroughly as possible. I then liberally spread the bleaching compound around in nooks and crannies, several layers worth, everywhere I could pack it. I covered it in a plastic garbage bag, set it out in the sun, and waited 3 hours. Washed it off with the garden hose, and it literally did NOTHING. So, do I need something stronger? How do I lay my hands on "it"?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to a pool supply company and buy 30% peroxide that'll work. I'm curious though did you boil the skull? Or was it one that was laying around for awhile. My buddy was "comissioned" to do some European mounts on some skulls that had been boiled in Africa. The owner was pleased with the work but buddy definately was displeased. The skulls were over boiled and poorly cleaned they never did come out very good.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot usually the peroxide sits overnight and you can do it a couple times if it's not enough the first time.

hope it helps

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Yes, I boiled the skull several times, softening up the brain tissue and nasal passages. Talk about work! I sraped, scrubbed, sliced, picked until it was clean before I bleached. So, 30% for 12 hours is safe?

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I do 7-10 skulls a year for my family and friends. I boil the skulls in sal soda which makes cleaning a breeze, then I soak the cleaned skull in regular peroxide from WalMart. It is still advisable to keep the peroxide off the antler bases (it will discolor them). I would be very careful with the 30% peroxide and use some kind of neutralizer afterward. I would also consult a taxidermist about how long to soak the skull in 30% peroxide.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the peroxide paste, but on the skulls i do I use something like 14% peroxide and let the skulls sit in it for 24 hours...As already mention be careful not to get on the base of the antlers...wrapping these in cooking foil helps to prevent that...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can also mix with water and spray the skull with spray bottle keeping it wet on a bright, hot,sunny day. this works faster

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
You said you bought a "bleaching kit". A lot of times the direct to the consumer stuff is a lot weaker than the professional stuff the Hair dressers have. I wonder if that's your problem. The stuff they sell as a wound disinfectant for example is only 7% H2O2.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I use "frosting creme" mixed with 40% peroxide, to make my paste, I let it sit til it is dry then wash off. If you bought a "blonde" kit it was proably a coloring kit, not the right stuff. . Talk to a beautician and her her order the frosting creme, it is much stronger than any thing at Walmart.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Cool, I just happen to know a hairdresser whom I have worked with in callings at church. I am sure this young lady can procure some strong stuff for me. Thanks for the help!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

posted Hide Post
This was covered pretty well previously, here's the link:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3421043/m/992105793

Posts: 1 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick- As I stated in my opening post, I had viewed the referenced posts found using a Search. My problem was that using that advice didn't work for me, and thusly I was looking for newer ideas.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
358 did you get the skull done yet? I'm interested to hear the results.

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Calgary-
My wife has been out of sorts with a stroke and a battery of tests. Between that and serving as Cubmaster, I haven't had much time to play. I may try slathering more hair bleach on that skull today and letting it sit for 24 hrs.

Thanks for wondering about me!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cub master...good on you!!! Hope the wife gets better.

the chef