THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Thinking about stuffing a Fox

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about stuffing a Fox
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I trapped a red fox. Called the taxidermist up and he didnt' answer so i had to freeze it. I cut a slit down its stomach and took out the entrails, because i heard the stomach acids in a meat eater will turn it green in short time. Then i stuffed newspaper in the cavity to soak up any blood. I used a hair dryer on low and blow dried its fur till it was dry. Then i put it in the freezer and i didn't try to call the taxidermist back because i enjoyed working with it and am thinking it'd be fun to do the fox myself. (besides save all that money)

I saw where you can get forms and glass eyes from taxidermy supply places.

A few questions: When you skin the fox, do the feet stay attached?

Can anyone recommend a really good taxidermy book for a beginner, and also recommend a taxidermy supply house?

Thanks for any help.

Penny

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's one i had mounted this last spring. i see you are in WV,i'm in virginia . i have a friend in the taxidermy business close by . so i made my own base and we put it together.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/srwshooter/foxmnt.jpg
try here for taxidermy supplies
http://www.mckenziesp.com/mcktaxid.asp
http://www.eatel.net/~ljenkins/dans.htm

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job on your Gray. I like the pose it is in.

Thanks for the links. right now i'm looking for a kit.

Penny

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a DIY kit at Wasco wildlife supply and it has everything except the mannikin. So i got kit and mannikin for 97.90 including postage Smiler I asked which kit is the easiest and they said they are all easy. I don't quite believe that, but i figure this is the easiest way to go, everything included, and if i don't like doing it then i don't have a bunch of materials and equipment. When i do get the fox done, i'll post a picture of it, of course.

Penny

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
At WASCO you can also get a book called Mammal Taxidermy that is one of the Breakthrough series. It's must have book that will help you tremendously.

Also, you can check out http://www.taxidermy.net and read over their forums. There is a wealth of information there.

Good luck!

Jerry S.

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i killed me a nice big red fox today . i watched him chase a rabbit for 20minutes ,he finally can close. i think i'm going to do a pedestal mount

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I spend a lot of time outdoors and never see any foxes. 'Course there's no rabbits around here, either. You must have a lot of them around. Set some traps. I use 1 3/4 Duke 4 coil and bait with rotten deer meat down in a dirthole. Caught 1 female gray that weighed 12 lb, 1 male red that weighed 10 lb. They're beautiful.

Penny

aim small, hit small

One of Us
posted Hide Post
guess what today i killed a nice gray fox while deer hunting ,where i hunt i see foxes every few days. i've killed about 30 in 2 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool. I got another one, too.

The bad thing about those foxes is they have fleas. I was itching and i suspected fleas so i hurried up and took a bath (wasn't even saturday Wink) and there was two fleas floating in the water. Nasty.

Penny

aim small, hit small