THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Looking to buy Cherry Wood pedestal mounts. Need help

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to buy Cherry Wood pedestal mounts. Need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted
Hi,
I have a bar and and built-in entertainment center all built out of Cherry wood. I am getting my Sable, Cape Buffalo & Eland all done in pedestal mounts. I would like to get the pedestals made out of Cherry Wood to match the rest of the room. I contacted the cabinet guy who did my basement and he wants $2000 for the 3 pedestals. Seems high to me. Here is what he said he would build.

1) Pyramid shaped mount "Sable" top dimensions 24"x24" and bottom dimension 32"x32" over-
all height of stand 30"

2) Cube shaped mount "Cape Buffalo" 24"w x24"l x 26"h constructed of 5piece solid cherry sides
to except zebra skinned inserts (provided by customer). Top will be recessed 2" to
allow customer to add decorative grass and wild life.

3) Cube shaped mount "Eland" 24"w x 24"l x 35"h constructed of 5piece solid cherry sides with
cherry plywood inserts. Top is cherry plywood with solid cherry full nose edging.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
For custom made pedestals that price is not to far out of line. About 650 each isn't that bad if the workmanship is very high quality.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Jerry,
Is there anyone in particular that you use for your pedestals? Like a catalog I can order from. I have seen some on ebay, but they were OAK and I want Cherry.
Thanks

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
MC;

I sent you a pm with the details on my guy.

Good wood work like good taxidermy is not cheap.

Best regards

Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he has a good price.

Safari Taxidermy by:John Baker
www.safaritaxidermy.com

Posts: 278 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas , USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if it is solid cherry and not veneer, that's a pretty good price. if you look at most taxidermy websites the price difference in cost between shoulder and pedestal mounts, it is pretty steep( yea i know the taxidermy work is more complex, but most taxidermist have to buy the bases- they are not cabinet makers)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13239 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I chose Cherry Wood for the pedestal mount for my Zebra. I made it a year ago from 3/4" Cherry over a 2x4 pine frame. I picked the Cherry boards for color and grain at one of our local lumber yards. Just the Cherry wood boards cost $133 in July '07. Add labor and shipping, and the $650 cost is probably in line.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion,but....

Why after spending the cost of the hunt,the shipping of trophies,taxidermy....

Few people put a proper piece of furniture under a mount?

My estimate...I would budget 150 each box material;that leaves 1 day to construct,sand ,and spray each box.At $600/box that's $450 in labor (and $200 left to deliver), a little less than $60/hour.

What do you pay your car mechanic?Or lawn guy?Or tip your PH?

All professionals have an investment of capital /time....
My modest shop has $200,000 in equiptment alone;more than some;less than others

$2000, more than fair...Doesn't your trophy of a lifetime deserve it?

good hunting dan

for those who keep track of such things;I just increased my post count by...one

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
WoodmanDan,
I was not complaining on the cost, I was questioning the cost. I sell computers & IT equipment and not wood products. Therefore, I know very little of costs for wood work. I just wanted to know if my guy was in the ballpark.
After getting some response here, I went ahead and order the work to be done. Will post pics and soon as I get them.

Thanks for the info guys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MotorCity,

Definitely not trying to start a fight...

just trying to give an explanation behind the cost...

With the recent increases in fuel prices,wood and wooproducts are,like everything else,dramatically increasing in price.

It's good you made the move now,not only for your bases;but probably for the hunt too!

I have to get this posting photo thing down...I've some pretty interesting pedestals.

good hunting dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not two months I delivered a load of logs into Millers in Union City Ind. and while waiting to get unloaded I was talking to another driver and we were talking about log prices and he told me he took a load of 20/24 inch cherry logs the day before to a pallet mill. The prices were pretty sad at the time for logs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always the sad part;

As an end user; my prices go up,which squashes demand;and reduces the price the mill will pay...

The working guy gets screwed again...

Did get some smokin' walnut last week at a good price,anyone need a custom pedestal....

good hunting dan

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodmanDan:
Just an opinion,but....

Why after spending the cost of the hunt,the shipping of trophies,taxidermy....

Few people put a proper piece of furniture under a mount?

My estimate...I would budget 150 each box material;that leaves 1 day to construct,sand ,and spray each box.At $600/box that's $450 in labor (and $200 left to deliver), a little less than $60/hour.

What do you pay your car mechanic?Or lawn guy?Or tip your PH?

All professionals have an investment of capital /time....
My modest shop has $200,000 in equiptment alone;more than some;less than others

$2000, more than fair...Doesn't your trophy of a lifetime deserve it?

good hunting dan

you mean something like this?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the above piece of furniture cost me $550 at Mor Furniture- had a scratch on one end that was easily touched up. leopard was designed as a hanging mount but i changed my mind after i received it. the piece has a marble top inlaid and numerous drawers and cabinets. just an example of what your imagination can accomplish.

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

I agree that sometimes you need to think out of the box. Here are some pedestals that a customer and Chris and I purchased at furniture stores for a different look to add to a mount and your home decor. Not that something like this could work for a large shoulder mount, but they look good with what's on top of them.

Oh...and that is a good price for a custom made cherry wood base.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote