one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2008 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work animals laying around mounts look good to me.

Posts: 19417 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job, Jerry!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And the claws are not out!! hilbily

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Exactly how I would want it.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice ! Any would be burgler would mess himself. Maybe you could add a "sound effect" to your alarm system ?

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Fantastic job on the leopard. He looks relaxed yet alert. However, the tree limb looks way too fake. For one example the fake leaves are on small twigs that appear to be growing out of a large limb. Its as bad as plastic flowers on a gravestone. There needs to be some transition in size between the large limb and the small twigs. Take the fake leaves off and the great mount would look many times better.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Fantastic job on the leopard. He looks relaxed yet alert. However, the tree limb looks way too fake. For one example the fake leaves are on small twigs that appear to be growing out of a large limb. Its as bad as plastic flowers on a gravestone. There needs to be some transition in size between the large limb and the small twigs. Take the fake leaves off and the great mount would look many times better.

Thanks for the opinion Palmer, I always love to here different ideas. I would suggest that you look at real trees a little closer, to say that small twigs with leaves don't grow out of large trunks is wrong.I have large pecan trees with 24" trunks and have to trim small twigs with leaves off the trunk every year. Here are some real examples of that very thing happening in nature. I respect the fact you don't like the look because everyone has different ideas and opinions about art, but to say it looks "FAKE" and doesn't happen with real trees is incorrect.

Jerry Huffaker

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

I did not say small twigs do not grow out of limbs. They do - especially when a tree is under stress such as a drought.

My opinion (worth what it costs) is that the tree limb would be more realistic if there was a transition from the limb to a branch to a twig, at least on one or two of the twigs.

The too similar sized twigs stuck into a (styrofoam?) log slightly degrade what is otherwise a splendid mount....just my opinion and according to the wife I have been wrong before.

regards, Allen

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Jerry,

I did not say small twigs do not grow out of limbs. They do - especially when a tree is under stress such as a drought.

My opinion (worth what it costs) is that the tree limb would be more realistic if there was a transition from the limb to a branch to a twig, at least on one or two of the twigs.

The too similar sized twigs stuck into a (styrofoam?) log slightly degrade what is otherwise a splendid mount....just my opinion and according to the wife I have been wrong before.

regards, Allen

Just saw the ? by the styrofoam, my trees are steel structured, you could do chins on it. No styrofoam is used.

Duely noted, thanks for your opinion.

Jerry Huffaker

One of Us
Picture of The Artistry of Wildlife
posted Hide Post
I like the tree limb, The branches work for me.
Nice piece Jerry.

Posts: 657 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guess I was to busy looking at the leopard to pay attention to the tree leaves, but upon going back and looking again, I don't see anything but a darn nice looking leopard!

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote