Notify
Tools

Degreasing-JDS
 Login/Join

<J Brown>
posted
JDS

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used white gas - sold here as Coleman brand lantern fuel. Soak the skull in it for about 24 hours and the grease will collect at the bottom of the container. It's amazing how much grease will come out of a skull.

If your skull is yellow but not greasy feeling, it probably just needs to be whitened. I go to the ladies beauty supply store and purchase hydrogen peroxide by the gallon (about $4.00 US).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darn! I thought I "invented" the use of white gas for skull degreasing. I used coleman fuel to degrease a few skulls and it seemed to get every trace of fat out of the bone.

I do have a question for you: What do you do to lessen the fire hazzard of having a large container of white gas with a skull soaking in it? What type of container do you put the skull and white gas in?

Jason

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Hi Jason!

A lot of taxidermy techniques have been "invented" and "reinvented" many times!! [Big Grin]

I used a big plastic container that I got at Wally World. It's rectangular shape and is abouat 24" long, 16" wide, and 20" tall. It has a plastic snap on lid that helps keep the evaporation down.

It stayed on my back patio so that if something happened to catch it on fire it would be away from the house. Plus, the smell is not a problem since it's not inside.

Good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote