New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is possible for a rug from a whitetail deer hide, hair on?

Can it be made soft enough to use as a small blanket.

Will it shed?

Can I send the hide directly to the tannery?

Where should I cut for best end result?

How far up the legs and neck should I cut?

Do I need to have a border or trim to keep the edge hair on?

Any pics of end results?

Thanks

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is possible for a rug from a whitetail deer hide, hair on?

You could do a flat hide only or full rug with mounted head and feet.

Can it be made soft enough to use as a small blanket.

Soft but not suitable for a blanket in my opinion. Best used as a throw over a sofa/chair, hung on wall or left on floor. A rug and a blanket are two very different things.

Will it shed?

Some. More so if you use it as a blanket or if it gets walked on. Some shed more than others.

Can I send the hide directly to the tannery?

Sometimes. Many tanneries are wholesale for taxidermists only. Others take in hides from hunters.

Where should I cut for best end result?

depends on how much skin you want to save. Normal flat rug would be straight up belly center line from vent to base of head. Then cut up along the underside of each leg. Also split up the center underside of the tail to remove the tail bone. (google this and you will find some diagrams that will show you.)

How far up the legs and neck should I cut?

For flat rug, a few inches down from base of head behind ears. Legs anywhere you like above knee joint. (find a diagram online that will show where to cut, sorry I do not have one handy.)

Do I need to have a border or trim to keep the edge hair on?

No but a backing and trim will make a more durable and attractive rug imo. A rug backing makes it a rug and not just a skin. Will be a rug not a blanket.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the skin of a big mule deer tannned. It was taken during a really bad winter and has really good hair on it. I put it on a coffee table up against a wall and then I put a lifesize mount of a Vaal Rhebok on top of it. It looks really good. About 18 inches of deer hair is visible around the base of the mount.

I don't think I'd want to walk on one or use it for a blanket though. Deer hair can get brittle over time.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried this with a deer hide and elk. Both were in excellent condition and tanned perfectly. The problem is that deer and elk hair is brittle and will "shed" continuously when walked upon. Better to use the hide where it does get any wear and tear.

Posts: 10266 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with: www.keystonefurs.com
The lady there, I think her name is Angela or something close. Gave me a price of $70 for a boar hog cape tanning. They'll also make sure the fleshing is done right before tanning starts. They'll do all the fleshing for extra $ according to their site.
Check it out. They've got my business for the next work I need, and send it direct. Contact her.

I just got a redfox skin back from MoyleMink in Heyburn, Id last week too. Nicely done, $31 incl $11 postage. Took about 4-5month's it seems. Just laying on the couch arm on a deer hide.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote