Find
Notify
Tools

Need help,,,Quick!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,
I'm leaving Saturday to spend a couple of days hunting in Virginia. On my way back, I'm hunting for a couple in Mississippi. Should I get a buck, how do you advise that I preserve the cape. Natuarally I'll try to put it in freezer as much as possible, but I'll spend a couple of days in the truck. I don't foresee being able to aquire any dry ice. Will borax and ice work,,,,,salt,,,,,,whatta you say.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
I am no expert, But IMHO, I would just salt and perrper it(pepper keeps bugs away) and ice it. The Ice will keep it form stinking. I would also put it in a garbage bag (heavy duty) to keep it form getting messy. Good luck getting that buck. -Ben

Posts: 412 | Location: Iowa, for now | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
no plastic bag. this is a big no...no. Plenty of salt,aprox 4-6 pound of salt per day on the flesh side, replace the salt after 24 hours, repeat each day, do not leave in the sun, store it in a heshan type sack. this is fine until you get it tanned.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
DO NOT salt your cape unless the ears, lips and nose have been turned and ALL red meat and fat removed from the skin. If you salt a cape without preparing the skin properly all you do is salt the meat on top of the skin not the skin itself. If it's no more than a couple of days keep it on ice in a cooler and it should be OK.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2009 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's importent to turn those ears out, or your cape is likeky to come back from the tanner with bald ears, not a pretty sight.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the speedy replies!! Been a big help

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
quote:
no plastic bag. this is a big no...no.....

I have three capes in the freezer (from Africa), that have been properly cleaned and salted.. When I received them from Africa after 3/4 year I put them in plastic bags and in the freezer. I guess it`s not a problem when they have been properly treated first..??

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I managed to knock down 2 deer in 2 days in Mississippi. One I froze the whole head and the other wouldn't fit in the freezer so I skinned it out. It's just starting to thaw now. I'm gonna try and flesh it tommorrow. I'm going to try and mount the big one myself. It's something I've always wanted to try, so here goes.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)