THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Caribou Antlers in Velvet - What to do?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou Antlers in Velvet - What to do?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
I will be hunting in the NWT for Dall sheep in August, and the Caribou will be in velvet. There are some great "woodland" caribou in the area, and for a trophy fee of $2500 this is not a bad add-on and I'll probably never shoot a caribou any other way. The antlers would be sent back at a later date (not brought with me), and I suspect arrive pretty beat up (judging by my previous experience w/moose antlers in velvet).

Here are my options:

- Taxidermist strip and color/stain - The moose I had done in this manner is "glossy", although the taxidermist's work was poor. Has anybody had good experience with this, or will they look unnatural?

- Re-do with Synthetic Velvet - Expensive (quoted $350 for an average set and more for large racks, versus maybe $125 for coloring).

- Outfitter said they can dip them in turpentine - would this be to preserve them? And wouldn't they stink forever?

- Just take a picture…

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, redo with fake velvet if its a well formed antler(ie late season velvet). otherwise you might be disappointed. if its early season, take a pic.

The reason I say this is because early season the antlers are not "hardened" so some parts will be soft and probably wont be there when you get them back. they could be much smaller than when you shot it.

you can try the turpentine, it wont smell as bad as you think. see if methanol is an option. it does work pretty good.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
There is a product called Preserve-it. Most taxidermist know about it or can get info on it. Some claim that it will preserve velvet if injected into velvet ASP after kill. It is not expensive.

The idea is to inject into the knurl of the antlers (base) into the veins feeding the velvet (fresh) and push out blood through the tips which you have punctured to begin with. Then paint the velvet with solution. This product is $25.00 or so per litre. The manufacturer is Rittel's from Mass.

I have used this product on deer antlers in velvet by just soaking them in the solution. It does work...to a degree. The velvet stays on but does not keep its "plump" look...

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

My caribou was shot in August. The outfitter injected and painted the velvet in the field with a preservative. He mentioned that it was like formaldehyde but had no significant odor. I do not know what product he used but this was 8 years ago and my trophy still looks great. The outfitter told me that he had to take greater care when transporting antlers still in velvet. They did not stink when they arrived.

You might want to post this question on another taxidermy forum and see what others recommend. I did a google search and found this site:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/

Good luck.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience as Ron L, no problems. I wouldn't recommend the "Taxidermist strip and color/stain" as most I've seen look fake.

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
You can order formeldhyde from some of the taxidermy companies in quart containers. Get some, and some syringes from the local farm/feed store. After youve shot you bull and the horns have been removed begin injecting the formeldhyde. Push in a little at a time wait 20 minutes, hit it again. Do this to each point on each antler. You can then either continue to fill the antlers from the tips or as was suggested, start at the base. Hang the horns to drain but keep pumping the stuff in. You can brush it on the outside as well. Be sure to wear gloves and googles as formeldhyde is bad stuff. Let your horns dry and have them shipped home. You can go one step further when you get home and have your horns freeze dried.

Hugh beer

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Prick the tips of soft antlers with a pin or nail so the injected preserving fluid will force out the blood. Wink

Preservz-it is the non-carcenogenic version of formaldehyde.
There is also a product called 'antler-tan' for velvet antlers but i havnt used it.

Animal Art Taxidermy.

Posts: 227 | Location: Australia. | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
shehuntz,

Ive tried the antler tan and didn't get good results. It could have been the condition of the antlers at the time, but I wasn't crazy about it. Youre right, Preserv-it is a much safer alternative than formaldehyde. I still like formaldehyde with the proper precautions as it really works.

I try to get the formaldehyde in the tips first and then go to the base. I think you get a better chance of saturation by starting at the tips. The holes from the syringes work as drain holes when you begin injecting from the bases.

What animals do you have in Aussie with velvet?

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
Red, sambar, fallow & chital deer, hughiam.

Thanks for the heads up on the antler tan. beer

Animal Art Taxidermy.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, this is good stuff and I'll chat more with my taxidermist. My problem with any of the chemicals would be that I'll be in the NWT and on a backpack hunt, so just getting the antlers, meat and hide back to main camp will be a chore. And I'll probably have the antlers sent down afterwards. I think what I'll do is, if time permits, hunt for a real good caribou, and perhaps spring for the faux velvet treatment. I'll follow-up post down the road how it works out.

Joel, note that the outfitter says that at this time of the year the antlers will be hard and fully developed…but you raise an excellent point that until a few weeks ago I never gave thought to.

Thanks again!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
shehuntz,

I should have been able to guess the sambar, but was thinking maybe Rusa. I didn't realize you had the other deer species. Mostly I hear of people coming your way to go after the buffalo and banteng.

Are you in a humid or dry part of the country?

Hugh

Pro Staff for:

one of us
Picture of shehuntz
posted Hide Post
I used to live in a temperate to humid part of oz but I now live in the cold part of the country Frowner
A long way from the buff & banteng.

I forgot to mention the rusa! homer
animal

Animal Art Taxidermy.

One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
I never heard of Aust. being cold. I guess its all relative. I guided a pig hunt a few weeks ago and it was -31*F. That was cold!

Pro Staff for: