New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Black Bear Rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got my Black Bear rug back. What's the best way to secure it to a flat wall?

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
I used some small tacks and it worked great.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
The taxidermist should have put rings on the back of the head, tail, and each paw to hang from nails in the wall. Ideally, I would want those sewn through the felt, any padding, AND the hide to effectively support the weight.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Rings or nails will work but they aren't necessary. Go buy a package of sewing needles, They are hard steel, and won't bend. You can hammer them through the skin in the sheetrock at the appropriate angle and they will hold. You can use as many as it takes to secure it,they are cheap and it will do minimal damage to the wall.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I used a staple gun in the past. Worked fine, minimal wall damage when I moved/sold the house.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Never would have thought of the sewing needles. Great idea, thanks Jerry.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made up a flat "mannequin", using a 12" x 48" piece of plywood for the body and 5 strips 4" wide and various lengths, sticking out in appropriate lengths and directions for the four legs and the head. I attached the hide to the framework using black upholstery-type nails, and then just hung the whole thing on the wall like a giant painting.

Works well, easy to build, easy to move when required, and doesn't turn your wall into a pincushion.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote