Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Flatskins
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,
What's effective and safe to clean a flat skin?
My Labrador apparently thought it clever to pee on a Wildebeast skin in my trophy room...

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with that but my female border collie loves my blue wildebeest flatskin. She doesn't care about the zebra or the bushbuck skins but she loves the wildebeest.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I can't help you with that but my female border collie loves my blue wildebeest flatskin. She doesn't care about the zebra or the bushbuck skins but she loves the wildebeest.

Odd isn't it?!.. same here. Zebra, not a problem. Other skins? Never been an issue. Now the Damn dog has suddenly designated my Wildebeast flat skin as ground zero!

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with a wildebeast flat skin. The dogs and cats slept on it, chewed on it, peed on it and crapped on it until they destroyed it. They don't pay attention to any other skins in the house, just that one. I have no idea why they singled out that one.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was for a bear skin. I was told by both taxidermists that I contacted to just use plain water. No soap. Soak that section for a few minutes to get the urine out, use a towel to blot as much water out as possible, and dry it with a fan. No heat, solvents or harsh soap. There isn't much oil in this type of tanned leather, and you don't want to remove what is left and make it brittle.

There may be a better way, but it worked fine on the bear skin.

My Shi Tzu loved lounging on the zebra rug, but wouldn't touch the hartebeest or kudu skins. Our mini golden doodle (designer mutt) couldn't care less about any of them. One of life's great mysteries.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote