THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Tanning flatskins - seeking recommendations for mail-order tanneries

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanning flatskins - seeking recommendations for mail-order tanneries
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few flatskins (impala, blesbok, wildebeest) in a dip/pack state that I would like to get tanned. I am interested in sending them to a tannery or taxidermist by mail. Can anyone offer recommendations? And if anyone has experience doing this, did you encounter any hidden costs?

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
yost fur dressing

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jerry!

I will give them a call right now.

One of Us
Picture of 64rcs
posted Hide Post
www.specialtyleather.com

They did the back skin on my Cape buffalo. Spendy but beautiful leather.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64rcs:
www.specialtyleather.com

They did the back skin on my Cape buffalo. Spendy but beautiful leather.

Thanks, 64rcs. I received a similar review from another hunter that also used them for a cape buffalo.

I spoke with Justin at Specialty Leather last week and I will have them turn my Wildebeest hide into leather. The other two flatskins will go to Yost Fur Dressing for a hair-on tan.

One of Us
Picture of 64rcs
posted Hide Post
I had my hide tanned grey. Keep in mind they have two variations(light and dark). Mine turned out almost black which is not what I wanted. It was, however, my fault in not calling Justin to see what the difference in the two colors were. The leather is beautiful though and I still plan on painting the leather with scenery and hanging it on the wall.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Specialty Leather.

They tanned a bunch of elephant hide for me. After I had another company turn some of it into a gun case it got some weird stains on it. It was probably something I bumped the case on - I never thought it was a fault of the tanning. But when I asked for advice to hide the stains the owner of Specialty offered to redye the case at no charge. That's above and beyond for customer service!

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64rcs:
I had my hide tanned grey. Keep in mind they have two variations(light and dark). Mine turned out almost black which is not what I wanted. It was, however, my fault in not calling Justin to see what the difference in the two colors were. The leather is beautiful though and I still plan on painting the leather with scenery and hanging it on the wall.

Thanks for the warning. I was told by Justin that their colors:

Sand = light brown
Saddle = medium brown
Walnut = dark brown
Chocolate = very dark brown, almost black

I am thinking Saddle, but will try to stay away from something too dark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Another vote for Specialty Leather.

They tanned a bunch of elephant hide for me. After I had another company turn some of it into a gun case it got some weird stains on it. It was probably something I bumped the case on - I never thought it was a fault of the tanning. But when I asked for advice to hide the stains the owner of Specialty offered to redye the case at no charge. That's above and beyond for customer service!

Thanks, buddy. That must be some beautiful leather. I wish my cable TV provider had that level of customer service!