New
Find
Notify
Tools

What should i do with
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Should i mount him or do a european mount?

Also I am going to only mount one buffalo in my life i plan to shoot hopeful a few more

Is he the one to mount?

If i should mount - what kind of mount? I have a lot fo space in my house but my ceilings are only 8/9 feet high.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
Nice buff.

Any upstanding taxidermist will tell you to do a shoulder mount or pedestal mount instead of a euro mount. Big Grin

I will almost go so far as to say Euro mounts are not taxidermy, they are crafts/curios...so it is hard to even compare the two. They show what the skull looks like, not what the animal looks like.

A good shoulder mount will capture the attitude and impressive size of the beast that no skull mount could ever match. That being said, shoulder mounts are big and will stick out from the wall about 4 feet. Your ceiling heights are not an issue, just be sure to have plenty of room to be able to move around as the mount will stick out far into the room.

One option is to have the cape tanned and have a Euro mount done. The tanned cape will last for years in the freezer and does not take up as much space as you would think. You then always have the option of doing a shoulder mount with it later on. A spare tanned buffalo cape in the freezer is not a bad thing to have if you plan on hunting more of them in the future.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I can tell you I would have that great bull mounted, no question about it.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the free idea is interesting

one of the positive of a euro mount is i can have it in the office - this is a euro mount from my first cape buffalo.

a full shoulder mount might scare some people in nyc :-)

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i mis-typed - should be freeze idea

also the euro mount is by ben coombs at tristate taxidermy in houston - great job !!

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post

I like a full skull, flat on the wall.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I reckon you'll better him. Do the flat mount and hold out for a whopper shoulder mount trophy.

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Only you can decide. If you know your going back many more times, you might hold out for a bigger bull to shoulder mount. There's more to it than size though, the experience should have as much to do with mounting than a measurement.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote