THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Shoulder mount to pedestal mount conversion?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder mount to pedestal mount conversion?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A question for you professional taxidermists out there - I've got an eland shoulder mount that is too big for the space we had planned for it. Is it possible to convert this mount into a pedestal mount? Any recommendations for a GOOD taxidermist in the north Houston area?

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done - in fact it can be done a couple of ways. The easiest is to build a pedestal base that has a portion on the rear that sticks up high enough to just hang the mount on. It will look like a pedestal mount but really isn't. This is something that if you are good with woodworking tools, you can do it yourself.

The other way will involve moistening the hide on the shoulder area of the mount, cutting the stitches, pulling the hide forward, reshaping the shoulders into a pedestal style, installing tubing into the form from the brisket up into the mount to hold it up, bringing the hide back into place, gluing it, and restitching.

Obviously, the second method will need to be done by a taxidermist. It's pretty involved.

Good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Forgot to tell you . . . I recommend Mike Simpson. I'm not sure of his shop name but he is out in the country within driving distance of north Houston. He's a top notch taxidermist - not cheap but one of the best.

I've seen some of his ads in SCI magazines.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I highly recomend B&B Taxidermy on Jones Road West near 1960. Mike Baird is a great taxidermist, and he actually does a lot of his own work. He is a little cheaper and lots faster than Conroe (Mike Simpson). B&B's number is (281) 469-2920. I have no connection to them other than the checks I send them every month for all the animals I have over there. Just dropped off a Whitetail and my crate came from Tanzania last week. I will probably send their kids to college!

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote