THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Fresh from the taxidermist

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fresh from the taxidermist
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
Got my first archery buck and my fisher back from the taxidermist. I would like some honest feedback on the mounts. Should I use this guy next year? I like the mounts, its just that I dont want pay a premium price for an otherwise mediocre mount. My main concern is with the fishers composition. It looks a little strung out. It could be just be that I am not used to seeing that small of a fisher though. The ones I see deer hunting are a bit larger.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
personally, i'd find a new taxidermist.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your 1st Deer but I have to agree that the work is pretty bad!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
Congrats on your 1st Deer but I have to agree that the work is pretty bad!

I am hardly an expert at judging taxidermy work but it seems that you have validated my suspicions. It's just a little disappointing to have people vouch for the guys work, as well as see one of his fishers in progress (it looked great) only to get less then spectacular work. The more I look at the work the more flaws I see. On the deer, the hide does not butt up to the base of the antlers and the area around the mouth looks a little rough. On the bright side you almost cant tell that I slit the ear in half when I tagged it Big Grin On the fisher (aside from the form) the breast has a slight bald patch with a line coming down from it, probably where he stitched it up. He also left 2 open holes drilled through the drift wood base and the metal rod that is holding the fisher up is visible on the back leg. These are things that I can cover up fairly simply, but I shouldn't have to. Time to find someone better I suppose.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of great taxidermists in Wisconsin, some are posters on this forum. Keep looking for a good one until you find one.
Two that come to mind are Jim Kimball and Martin Bonack. Many more than those two, so keep looking.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Nice rack, very below average mount. Definitely time to find someone else.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Take it to someone and get a new cape for those great horns...

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Just to show you how bad these were I will show you the closeups. Sorry for the picture qulaity. I took them with my phone.

The Fisher:

The Deer:

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is beginner type work, sorry. Too many things wrong to even mention.

Paul B

Posts: 58 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With Quote