THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Removing hide from skull plate

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing hide from skull plate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a box in the garage of racks collected over the years. Most I just sawed off the skull and never bothered to take the hide off. Now it is dried on to the point I think a chisel and dynamite might be needed. Does anybody have a good method to soften it up to make removal easier?

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Boil it. Out side of course. Use a metal bucket or tub and heat it on a burner like the ones used for turkey fryers. My taxidermist cooks skulls like this all the time. he doesn't actually boil it but soaks it in the the water with the heat up to the point just before boiling. After a couple hours it should soften up.

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kino is right. You might even get away with just soaking it overnight in a bucket of warm water if you dont have the means to boil it.

Regards, Wyo

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure and use a stainless pot or you'll discolor the bone. Add a good dose of detergent. Just curious, but why do you want the hair off? If you're fixing to put them up, I sure think they look better with the hair on.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hide is all dried up and curling. I want to strip it to the bone and mount them on a plaque and then cover with a little plaster and some leather.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote