THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Deer and Bear skins....How to?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer and Bear skins....How to?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All right guys, novice questions here, figure you all will know the answers.

This year I am hunting bear and deer. I am really hoping to get both and aside from saving the meat I would like to keep the skins too. With the bear I would like it hair on and made into a rug, paws and all. With the deer I would just like the skin, hair off probably, tanned out for me so I can have my fiancee make me either a vest or shirt from it, or maybe use it myself for a holster or something.

So the questions:
1. Places to get this done?
2. Cost I should expect?
3a. With the bear, what's the best way to skin it out and keep the paws on it, I am guessing the taxidermist will take the flesh out of the inside of the paws.
3b. What is the best way to package them for the interim period between here and the guy/girl I send them to?

The only other thing I want to do is with the bear, when it is made into the rug, I am guessing that around the sides when it is opened up there will be some extra hide and I would like a strip to put a collar on a bomber jacket.

Thanks all.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to top guys,

I know that there has to be somebody here that could give me a bit o advice. Anybody?

I appreciate it fellas/ladies.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Red,

Here's a link for taking care of a bear:
Black Bear Field Care

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll give you some prices I've seen. My taxidermist charges $55 for hair-off deer hide tanning, and $130 per linear foot for a black bear rug (head mount, lined). So your average black bear will run about $1000 or so.

Scrape all the meat and fat you can off the skins, and salt them down generously, allowing them to drain (the salt will pull all kinds of water out of the skin). Once they are "drained," I like to put fresh salt on 'em, and they can be rolled up and frozen, or, if it doesn't get too hot, just stored somewhere where A) they will get good ventilation and B) vermin won't get at 'em. If this is done, lay them flat on some cardboard or a layer of leaves or something, and check periodically for mold, rotting, etc.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would follow the instructions that the above post mention. If you shot the bear and are able to bring it to a taxidermist within a day ( hard to say with bears) you can leave the head and feet on the hide, it will just depend on if your comfortable with skinning it out or not, most hunters bring bears in like that. One important thing about bears is to get them prepped quickly and allow them to cool quickly, bears can and will start to slip if not cared for. As far as transporting you hide be sure to let cool befor you roll or fold it, do not place in a sealed plastic bag, and agian place in a cool place such as an icebox, and bring to taxidermist ASAP. Bring some salt and apply on the hide if you can. About extra bear hide just ask your taxidermists to save your trimmed pieces of hide. For black bear rugs I charge 215.00 per foot with a buckskin leather border and 195.00 per foot with a standard felt border. Other taxidermists in my area start at 150.00 per foot to 215.00
For you deer hide just keep it cool. To make this into buckskin the prices may range from 40.00 to 70.00. Best Bryan

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Try Alpha Fur Dressers in Anchorage, AK, Gary Jacobs , reasonable and did a great job on my bear skull and hide.

Alaska Fur Dressers 7133 Arctic Boulevard,
Anchorage, AK 99518 (907) 868-1508

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote