New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARTHOG IN HOLE
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys,

I have abit of a problem. My wife is making her first trip to Africa with me and she wants to do a bit of hunting for herself. She wants to take a pig, impala, and Kudu. We are hunting with Jan Olofse in Namibia this August.

The only kicker is that she is absolutely adamant that she wants to have her pig done coming out of a hole, on some sort of pedestal. My question to anyone who reads this, is do you have a link or pic of a mount like this? I want to keep her happy so we can keep going back.

Tim

Zimbabwe 1995
Nunavut 2001
Zimbabwe 2005
Alaska 2008
Alaska 2009
Namibia 2012

Posts: 18 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 28 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I saw one posted on this site years ago. You may be able to find it with the search function.

Keep in mind that a mount like that will take up quite a bit of room. Better done as a floor mount than a pedestal I should think. The habitat/hole base could be made to fit in a corner. That may be a good way to work the mount into a room without taking up so much space. Also, it would look best with at least a half mounted hog, not a shoulder mount. A shoulder mount sticking out of a "hole" looks like a shoulder mount stuck in the mud.

Also make sure you see some examples of your taxidermists habitat work..you do not want a warthog coming out of a big styrofoam turd, for lack of a better description.

I have seen a few mounts done this way over the years and honestly have found them all to be distracting. Everyone has different tastes. The habitat ends up having to be so big that it overpowers the hog which should be the focus in my opinion. It is a novelty mount that takes up a hell of a lot of room, and you can not even see the hog well!......but if you must, you must!

If it means you get to go to Africa again, do whatcha gotta do Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Here is mine. Good luck getting it to fit on a pedestal. As Grafton said, they are a lot bigger than they look.

Here is a side picture when I lived in my apartment.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I like that they used a half mounted hog on that one. The ones with just the shoulder mount coming out of the hole do not look good to me.

Another idea is to bust a hole in the drywall and have the hog coming out of the wall into the trophy room. No habitat needed and a great conversation starter!

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
On the warthog busting through the drywall.

Russell Knight did this on the TV series Mounted in Alaska. I remember watching that episode and the mount turned out pretty cool.

I tried finding some pics. of it on the web, but didn't have any luck.

Could maybe find out which episode it was and watch it.

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I saw that. He had half on one side of the wall and the back half on the other. I think it would have looked better at floor level but it was still a neat idea.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huffaker did this for my Dad. It is designed so that if he wants to hang it on the wall, he can just pull it off the rocks and hang it like a normal shoulder mount.

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote