Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Tanned Leather
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Guys I have a question. I was just notified today that my two Cape Buffalo Cow hides are back from the tannery. I was shocked at the price and was informed that the 2 cows produced 107 square feet of leather. For some reason, that sounds like more square footage than I was expecting.

For anyone out there that has had a full skin Cape Buffalo Cow tanned, how much leather did it produce?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Just figuring if both cows were the same size each would be 53.5 square feet. A 7 feet by 7 feet flat hide would be 49 square feet so it looks reasonable to me.

The body of my bull was over 8 feet long and fat as a house so I bet he would have well over 64 square feet of leather.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Please post if you want to sell any of your buffalo leather.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also Todd would you post the name of the tannery. If they did a good job for you I am now ready with several hides of my own.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the skin from a Buffalo bull back and, like you, I was shocked at how big it was (and thus, the price Wink). It was almost 9 ft x 7 ft square.

It was done by Yost Furdressing, and it came out better than my wildest expectations.

Now, what to do with it...I haven't come up with any good ideas yet.

Use enough gun...
Shoot 'till it's dead, especially if it bites.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to use my back-skin to make an ottoman, using the buffalo feet for the legs. I got the idea from a love-seat in the lobby at my PH's house in RSA.

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread guys. I've been out of town for several weeks and haven't picked up the leather just yet. Actually, there is no hurry for me to do so as the taxidermist has an entire safari of mine he is working on.

But I do expect it will be absolutely first quality as everything else he has done is top notch. I highly recommend them, True Life Taxidermy of Granbury, Texas, Roy Holdrige. As said, his work is top quality but he is expensive. But you get the value with them, at least when it comes to mounted animals.

I was just surprised how much leather a couple of buffs produce.

Impala, I might be interested in selling some of it. I'll get back to you later and we can talk about it. I doubt I'll need or want it all as I also have an entire Elephant Bull being tanned now as well. So, within the year, I'm going to be knee deep in leather. Any idea how much of it you might want?