New
Find
Notify
Tools

aardwolf forms?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It appears they dont make a form for the aardwolf let alone a smaller one. What form are you guys using and modifying on the rare ocassion a client has one?

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, got one. Sheza gonna be cool Big Grin

Posts: 215 | Location: colyfornnia | Registered: 13 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Anthony very good. How about a pic of my tusks buddy?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
They look real good in fromt of my fire place, the guy in the middle is mister...can't keep him out of pictures.

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
A couple of the form we are going to start with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony I agree they look great infront of your fireplace but will look even better in front of mine! Big Grin The form you are using for the aardwolf will be intersting to see the transformation. Right now it reminds me of a greyhound except for the diminutive size.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im also glad we decided on the copper rather than the brass. I think it looks so much better.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Not very good pics of the tusks...used my cell phone. I'l set them up and light em up and and get my guy to take some real shots.
Still working out the pose alteration on the Ardwolf to incorperate the Genet in with it and keep it as natural a situation as possible. I'll keep you posted here of the transformation.
The Grey hound thing may not be a bad idea... we could mount him in a full run with a number in his side, chaseing a Dung Beetle on a speed rail lol

One of Us
Picture of John B Taxidermy
posted Hide Post
I have to say that Merlin Anderson is one of the finest sculptors around today. I prefer many of his head forms over the "popular" choices used by so many others.

His Eland and Black Wildebeest head forms are absolutely gorgeous and very correct! I just wish he had more on the market!

Can't wait to see how your Ardwolf project turns out. They are very interesting mammals. Good luck with it!

John.

Improving the Quality and Status of Taxidermy Since 1970.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Thanks John...I agree, Merlins forms are well sculpted.I wish I could say that was the reason I selected it...Fact is it was the only one out there Big Grin
I've just started to mass our reference studies on Ardwolf and we'll try and get this thing as anatomicle as possible. We don't get to many Ardwolf.
Mike would like to incorperate a Genet cat in the same piece, so we have to come up with a natural situation that these two critters would meet in. The Ardwolf being a bug eater, they would not be in a preditor - prey situation.
Got any Ideas ?

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Ok, Alteration on Aard wolf comlpete. The idea is the Aard wolf will be looking up at a Genet cat perched on termite mound and stump... kind like ,hey wasup.Ill post some of the finished peice.

Antone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good! Wink The only thing I would change ... raise the front end another inch or two. Just stand the forefoot on a little rise in the ground. That will pitch the Aardwolf's gaze a little higher without unnaturally lifting the neck.

From all my research, they don't often have the opportunity to raise their neck at a high angle at all ... they're not built to carry it at such an angle. When they do lift their head for a better view or when something catches their attention, they also drop their rear end a bit to aid in that elevation.

I also discovered the Aardwolf has vertically slit pupils like Fox, Bobcat, etc. They are very dark, but the pupils are definitely vertically slit.

Overall, this sounds like a truly unique piece you are creating, and I wish you all the best in this adventure! If I can help in the way of providing reference ... just let me know!

Great job so far!
John.

Posts: 129 | Location: Xenia, Ohio (Southwest 'corner' of the state) | Registered: 29 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Nice Anthony,
Can't wait to see it finished.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist
Huffaker Taxidermy Studio
huftax@sbcglobal.net
http://huffakertaxidermy.com/

Posts: 2006 | Location: Abilene,TX USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice Anthony,
Can't wait to see it finished.

+1

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
thanks guys,
John, we raised the front end up about three inches as you suggested and it did get his gaze in the perfect position and an overall more natural look....good call
Mounted them both and base work finished, should have some finished pics soon.

Anthony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, that sounds great! Can't wait to see the end result of all your work.

John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony, keep the pics coming my friend. I am liking what I am seeing so far. I agree that Johns call was spot on. I have only seen the one aardwolf in the wild but watched him for about 30 minutes before I took him. He did in fact drop his rear end when he wanted to look up at any real angle. I was totally absorbed in watching him while waiting for the ph to check my paperwork to make sure this little fellow was on my license. Since they are normally nocturnal it was a real fluke to see one in the middle of the afternoon. Cool looking animals though.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Here you go Mike, we've done plenty Genet but this is our very first Aard wolf. One of the most interesting animals I have ever worked with...a tiny Hyena that eats insects.
With the shape the hides were in after the African shiping ordeal I think we captured the uniqueness of these little critters.

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
A great mount with some unique critters! Great job! Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
That looks great! What unique trophies.....

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!!
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anthony ... what can I say!? You captured that Aardwolf BEAUTIFULLY! All the references I have on these creatures tells me you hit this one out of the ball park! I've only ever worked on two, and the first one was back in the 70's! They are just not too often hunted, and in some countries they are protected. Nice trophy, Mike! Very unique and not your "run of the mill" mammal. The angle and head carriage on the Aardwolf are spot-on! Its face and the ears ... CAPTURED! A well done piece of Taxidermy! Congrats to all involved! clap

John.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking mounts Anthony!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely what I had in mind!
Great job Anthony! I cant believe how well it turned out especially in light if the shape the hides were in when we finally got them. Two thumbs up! Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Very cool animals and superb mounts.
I really like two animal mounts that show interaction.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of maxart
posted Hide Post
Thaks everyone, we had a good time putting this together and all the input helps.

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed following this process. The end result on the aardwolf turned out fantastic! tu2 Very eye appealing composition.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to explain to Anthony what I had in mind. I thought that most people dont see either animal all that often. Also I felt that the contrast in the two pelt markings would be stunning. However, all the credit goes to Anthony who is one hell of an artist and at times a mind reader. He has taken my halfbaked idea and ran with it as usual. This is why I give him total artistic discretion in this stuff. I am really looking forward to showing this one off.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of homgoreb
posted Hide Post
Great thread, loved seeing it from start to finish. The end result is truly life like. tu2 tu2

Posts: 25 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote