THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Taxidermy in Johannesburg and South Africa

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy in Johannesburg and South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted
I also posted this in the African hunting section of the forums. All of your help and experience will be greatly appreciated.

How many have you have had your taxidermy work don in Johannesburg, or South Africa. What was the animal like upon return? Would you ever do it again? What is the name of a good reputable person to do all of our work there? Thank you for your help.

Steve

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I hunted in RSA in June of 04. I had trans african taxidermy dip,pack and ship my hides and horns. They did a great job. But I would recommend a good taxidermist of your choice here in the states. The future of your mounts depends on your PH and skinners. If they suck, your hides will not hold up at the tannery. Anyway, If you have any more questions, just holler......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
We had our taxidermy done by Life Form in South Africa. They did a great job on the work and in packing the work for shipment. I am not sure that we saved anything in the final analysis in cost, but our thought was to have a taxidermist mount the animals that mounts those animals all the time, as opposed to someone that mostly does whitetail mounts trying to do a kudu. Life Form has a website I believe and others on the forum may have had some experience with them too.

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want to you can check my website:
capricorntaxidermy.com

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Uplandhunter,

I think we've talked via PM before, but in the case we haven't, I'd suggest Safari Taxidermy.

Here is a link to my thread.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretoria has some good taxidermists

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The name is Nico van Rooyen Taxidermy.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In 2003 I had LifeForm do my taxidermy, including a shoulder mount of a Greater Kudu, all came out very well. For last October's hunt in RSA I only have a Euro Shield mount of the Eland and just trophy prep of the Waterbuck and am trying out Andre Van Rooyen near Joburg. Won't be delivered for a few more months so can't comment on the outcome on the latest ones.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I used TransAfrica for my 2004 hunt and will again in 2007. Ten trophies were on time and as requested. They are a fourth genneration company. A lot to be said for keeping the money in the country your visiting.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My best results were with Zach Zuccaro in Whiteriver, and that included several lifesize.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
I used Highveld in Pretoria. No complaints.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second Highveld. Dieter and Thomas Ochsenbein are two of the finest gentlemen in the business and produce amazing work. Their facility is top notch. They both have the Germanic work ethic and attention to detail as we as are ultra-perfectionists. Their work'll blow you away. I've used them personally and recommended them to clients for years and everyone has been consistently blown away. Their facilities are top notch and I've personally inspected them. You could eat off the floor if you were so inclined. There are several excellent taxidermists in RSA, but my money and clients go to Highveld. Dieter was actually President of PHASA (Professional Hunters Association of South Africa)if that tells you the respect in which he is held. When SCI got clients trophies out of a failed taxidermist in Tanzania, they sent them to Highveld. Dieter also received a rare Chinese Tiger for a mount from The Chinese Tiger Project. Dieter received the C J McElroy Award of Safari Club International during the 2006 SCI Convention in Reno.

http://www.taxidermist.co.za/about.html?page=company
http://www.bwanamel.com/taxidermy.htm
http://www.kukuzans.co.za/i_taxidermy.htm
http://www.customtravelafrica.com/ht_taxiderm.html
http://www.drakensberg-tourism.com/south-africa-hunting.html

Posts: 30 | Location: NYC | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote