Notify
Tools

Custom leather products?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
I'm not exactly sure where to post this:

I've got some elephant hide I had made into leather here in the States. At some point I would really like a pair of boots (and maybe a gun case too) and my wife would like some type of handbag.

I'm familiar with Russell and Walden & Bork but would like some other choices as well.

Can you folks recommend anyone else in the US that does work like this with a customers (elephant) leather?

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mead Taxidermy Studio
posted Hide Post
Tony Lama has a manufacturing plant near El Paso, TX. Don't know if they do custom boots with your leather, but judging by their outlet store there, they just might. A Google or Dogpile search should yield results...

Bob Mead
Mead Taxidermy Studio
Deming, NM

www.meadtaxidermystudio.com

Posts: 43 | Location: SW New Mexico | Registered: 19 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, my bootmaker in Abilene will make boots for you. His only request is that the leather be ready for his use. He prefers 4 oz. or lighter leather for boots. I'm having my buff tanned into leather by TE in Bulawayo, and they've just asked for the measurement of thickness for the leather. It works out to 1.2-2.0 mm.

Give Brian Thomas a call at 325-672-2344 and talk to him. He can send you some pics. Custom bootmakers are not cheap nor fast, but quality lasts a long time.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote