THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    How big, is a big zebra rug?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How big, is a big zebra rug?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just got the rings mounted on my zebra rug for hanging and laid the thing out on the floor to check the fit to the wall and the thing is almost too big.

Nose to tail (the tail is a stubby 18"), my skin is 11 feet long and 9 feet wide (from knee to knee).

I knew that I had shot a big zebra but I didn't realize the thing was that big.

Is this an unusually large rug?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I just got mine back from Namibia, it is 10'8" x 8'. In the trophy pictures it looked huge.Yours must look like a Clydesdale. Eeker

Posts: 758 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Burchell's from SA. Hide without the backing measures 11'4" nose to tip of tail.

Wall is 10'2" along the baseboard, so I had to hang it at as much of an angle as possible without having any of it on the floor or ceiling.

Even at that part of the nose is past the edge and 7" of tail is hanging down in the corner where the walls intersect.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank,

Our trophies came in Friday from Namibia finally!!!

My son shot a Hartmann's Zebra and we had it chrome-tanned....hide measures just about 11' x 9' also...

Its way too large for any of my walls so we decided to use it as a "throw" over a very large sectional sofa...

It looks great!

I'll post a bunch of pics later...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Tony, I'm doing the same with my zebra. The right leg will go up and over the ceiling and the tail will go around the corner on the wall. The front legs on mine were left probably about a foot longer so it spreads out even more.

Late-Bloomer,

Cool! I've got to get to the home improvement store for black headed tacks to put through the felt to smooth out the hanging skin.

I'll be on the Big Island later this month, for work.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

Buy 1/2" round-headed upholstery tacks.

If you can't find black tacks, just buy a can of flat black paint, stick the tacks in a hunk of styrofoam or cardboard and spray the heads. Do at least two or three coats. That's what I had to do since I could only locate antique brass tacks.

I put them in about 8" apart, thus needed no other rings or anything to hang the rug. You will need another hand or two to get it done, however.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I sewed (I did it myself even though Wifezilla sews costuming for a living) 8 rings at different "stress" points and got it hung up. I just have to get some tacks to smooth out the felt and hold up the fringes.

Frank