THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    moth balls and long term storage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moth balls and long term storage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several mounts and rugs that have been in the crates for several years, some of which I've never seen. I'm home for the holidays and am going to open them up and see whats in them, then close them back up for another year.

I'm planning to put moth balls in the bottom of the crates to make sure the bugs stay out. Will it hurt the mounts? I'm mostly concerned with the white hair on a zebra and a mountain goat.

Posts: 26 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
The moth balls will not hurt the mounts. I do recommend the cedar scented moth balls and put a few blocks of fresh cut cedar wood in the bottom of the crate too. Cedar is also a natural deterant for dermestids and will leave your mounts smelling much better when you are ready to display them. Do not lay cedar blocks directly on any of the mounts or rugs.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote