Find
Notify
Tools

Best Book?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
I am interested in Taxidermy in general and wanted to get a suggestion on which book would be best for a definite beginner? I have absolutely no experience. I don't want to become a Taxidermist, just interested in it and want to know about the process from start to finish. Any thought?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
The best book is actually "books". Wildlife Artist Supply Company (aka WASCO) has a website at www.taxidermy.com. From there follow the links to the taxidermy manuals called Breakthrough Manuals. Without question they are the best there is.

Each manual covers a different subject, i.e. deer heads, lifesize mammals, fish, birds, etc, but they are up to date, easy to follow, and have lots of photos.

Even though they are about $25.00 each, they are worth every penny if you want to learn taxidermy.

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I will also recommend the Breakthrough manuals. Most other books on the subject are very much out of date. Some of The older books are interesting to read though as they document the history of the techniques, formulas, sculpture etc.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Also, get a subscription to Breakthrough Magazine and Taxidermy Today Magazine. They have how to articles that can be really helpful

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote