New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitetail dehairing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am not sure this is the right forum to ask, since you guys are trying to keep the hair on the hide.
Anyway. I tan deer hides from every deer I kill and now I have more pelts than I really need. I decided to tan the next deer as a buckskin. The doe is already hanging under the barn aging. Now what is the best way to get the hair of the skin? Google says soak it in lime and water, any other options?

Thanks for the help.

Posts: 339 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done some hair off tanning (braintanning).
Lime works ok but I like to use wood ashes more, hardwood being the best. Use at least a half gallon of ashes in 10 gallons of water.

You can also fold it flesh to flesh and put it in a plastic bag for a few days until the hair begins to slip-yuck I'll never try that one again. You can bury it. You can weioght it down in a lake/river until the hair slips. You can also lace it into a frame and use the "dryscrape" method.

What ever method you use flesh it, then remove the hair, then flip over and remove all of the membrane on the flesh side, then back to the hair side and remove the epidermis layer. Removing the epidermis might not be necessary with tanning kits but it's necessary for the braintan thingy.

have fun!

<The Artistry of Wildlife>
posted
The easiest process is to soak it in milk in a sealed container till the hair lets loose, then proceed, salt and tan
This systam has been used by drum makers for years