THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Bringing back capes not for immediate use?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing back capes not for immediate use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm going to bring back all my capes but I may or may not get them all mounted right away.

What is the best way to have them prepared for storage? (should I have them tanned?)
What is the best way to store them?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
Have them tanned and put them in a freezer. Even dry tan (I prefer wet tans for mounting) need to be frozen so as not allowing the chemical breakdowns that do happen in tannage. If you wait too long for an unfrozen tanned hide, it could fall to pieces when wet down for mounting. Personally, I'd have them wet tanned and they'd go on the bottom of my freezer until I was ready to mount them.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with george %100. If you can't afford all the mounts now, that is by far your best option.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, will do.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12594 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote