THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Lynx & Teal wall mount

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lynx & Teal wall mount
 Login/Join

posted
I have a beautiful candanian lynx and green wing teal mount forsale. The lynx is standing to his left on a nice piece of driftwood with a dead teal under him. Set in snow scene.
$500.00
Please email me: Triton1074@aol.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Roland, OK | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Might want to consider that if the teal was a wild taken bird, the feds will not be thrilled that it is being offered for sale. Federal law prohibits the selling, or even the offering for sale, of any wild taken waterfowl.

Just my $ 02.

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice mount.A picture would be great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JDS, once they are mounted, they cease to be "animals," I think. I've seen tons of different mounts for sell at estate auctions, on ebay, etc.

Triton, any chance of a pic?

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
quote:
JDS, once they are mounted, they cease to be "animals," I think. I've seen tons of different mounts for sell at estate auctions, on ebay, etc.

I understand your thinking but the federal law is very specific. It states that no migratory birds, parts of migratory birds, or their nests, may be sold or traded. A mount of a duck certainly uses "parts" of the bird.

I owned a taxidermy shop for several years, during which time I had a required federal permit to mount migratory birds. Also, I've had several conversations with state and federal game wardens about the laws.

Just because they are sold at estate sales and auctions does not make it legal to do. The chances of getting caught at a local estate sale are much less than advertising the sale on a worldwide internet site. Also, some of the mounts that you see being sold may be tame, pen-raised birds. These are totally legal to sell and should have documenting paperwork with them to prove they are pen-raised (the bird will also be marked as pen-raised, either by having a rear toe clipped or a wing clipped).

The feds also routinely lurk on Ebay looking for violations.

I'm certainly not the smartest guy in the world but about my statement that a wild migratory bird mount being illegal to sell . . . I know of what I speak. My intent is to try to keep my forum friends from getting in a bind over this issue.

Have a great day!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Interesting points by all.
I may contact the feds to get an answer in writing.
I have often wondered when a duck ceases to be part of your possession limit? For example, round here the last few years, daily limit was 4 mallards and you could have 8 in possession. What if you took one to the taxidermist? Is it still part of your possession limit or can I kill one more on the third day of hunting? Also, does the mallard on the wall count against me? Do I have to stop shooting mallards after I mount 4 of them?? Common sense tells me after they go to the taxidermist, they no longer count, but we are talking the federal law!!!

[ 10-22-2003, 16:49: Message edited by: Duckear ]

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Wow, from the US Fish and Wildlife brochure i just downloaded:

"Items commonly sold illegally in the United States include: Mounted migratory birds and jewelry made with the feathers of protected species"

http://www.le.fws.gov/le_chart.htm
click on laws treaties regulations and species list, then select laws, then facts about federal wildlife laws and it downloads a pdf

one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
The Feds are really fun!

I once posed a theoretical situation to a Fish & Wildlife official and a local game warden:

I understood that it was illegal to take an Alaskan snowy owl UNLESS you were a resident of Alaska and it was taken during the regular owl season (yes, there was a hunting season for the snowy owl!). As a resident of another state, there was no way I would ever qualify to take one.

But . . . what if a resident of Alaska legally took a snowy owl during the season and shipped it frozen to a taxidermist ... . oh, say in Texas . . . to have it mounted, complete with all paperwork to show that it was legally taken. When the mount was completed, the Texas taxidermist notified the Alaskan that he owed X number of dollars to pay for the mount and have it shipped back.

At this point the Alaskan has changed his mind and no longer wanted the owl mount. Can the Texas taxidermist legally retain the snowy owl mount for a display piece in his showroom?

This sounds pretty simple. A logical answer would be that the Texas taxidermist would be legal in retaining it if all paperwork were in order but could not sell it as it is illegal to sell protected species.

Neither the federal agent, nor the state warden would commit to an answer. Inquiries were made to both the state and federal agencies in writing but no reply was every received from either one!

Go figure!

JDS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Triton1074,

You can sell the Lynx mount and specify that you are giving the Teal to the person that buys the Lynx. That should take care of any red tape concerning the Teal.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Spoke with a "special agent" last week. He was nice and helpful. Yup, cant sell a teal, you can keep it or give it away. Also, a bird ceases to be counted toward your possession after it has be skinned for the taxidermist.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"At this point the Alaskan has changed his mind and no longer wanted the owl mount. Can the Texas taxidermist legally retain the snowy owl mount for a display piece in his showroom?"

My friend is a Taxidermist and things like this happen all the time, no problem except with migratory birds. All he can do is donate or give it away for free, if he gets money in any way werein a transfer of a controlled mount is concerned you have violated the law.

Another taxidermist was set up by Fed F&W in an undercover sting over a non pickup migratory duck. Like any taxidermy shop alot customers becomes friends and the shop becomes a BS place, the feds did this with him for several months and then got him to sell a mounted wild duck, he got the book thrown at him. Not to mention lawyer fees,fines etc. license was suspended for several years and a fed felony on his record. Felony means he can never have a firearm in possession again....that is strong punishment for a hunter
[Eek!]

Posts: 2298 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote